1 of 1
{/paginate}
In the blink of an iPod
Posted: 04 March 2008 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Japanese researchers have developed a system that may let future iPod users change songs by winking.

Don’t read too much into someone winking at you in Japan - a researcher says he has developed a system that will soon let people run their iPods with the flick of an eye.

The system, comprising a single-chip computer and a couple of infrared sensors, monitors movements of the temple and is so tiny that it can be built into the side of a pair of eyeglasses.

Closing both eyes for one second starts an iPod, while blinking again stops the machine. A wink with the right eye makes the machine skip to the next tune while with a wink of the left eye it goes back.

As a person does not have to move either hand, the system can serve as “a third hand” for caregivers, rock-climbers, motorbike drivers and astronauts, as well as people with disabilities.

“You don’t have to worry about the system moving incorrectly as the system picks up signals when you close your eyes firmly. You can use this when you’re eating or chatting with someone,” said the device’s developer, Kazuhiro Taniguchi.

The system - dubbed “Kome Kami Switch,” or “Temple Switch” - can easily differentiate a deliberate one-second wink from natural blinking, said Taniguchi, a researcher at state-run Osaka University’s Graduate School of Engineering Science.

“Normally you blink in an energy-saving manner, very quickly and lightly, but you would close your eyes more firmly to operate a device,” he said

“There are some people who are incapable of winking on one eye. For those, we can program the system to give a command when they blink twice in a fast sequence,” he said.

The Kome Kami Switch is also capable of operating television sets, air conditioners, room lighting and other household electronics.

Taniguchi hopes the system can eventually be adapted to run mobile phones, wheelchairs and robots as “an ultimate remote control” used in everyday life.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 04 March 2008 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Sounds like it could be useful in things like powered wheelchairs and the likes, but they’d better make it highly programmable for individual people’s quirks and abilities first.  Otherwise you could have some guy with a nervous tic driving himself and his wheelchair off a cliff.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 March 2008 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

I was thinking the same thing, but looks like you have to wink pretty firmly to work it.  I thought it would be pretty funny if a nervous twitch would randomly shuffle the songs on an iPod….
On the other hand, something in me just objects to people making things “easier” for other people to use—I guess I just feel that too many labor-saving devices can make people lazier.  I dunno, just my opinion. smile
(by the way, this is Crafty Dragon, not Dave, I forgot to log him out and me in… red face )

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 04 March 2008 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21
daveprime - 04 March 2008 05:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but looks like you have to wink pretty firmly to work it.  I thought it would be pretty funny if a nervous twitch would randomly shuffle the songs on an iPod….
On the other hand, something in me just objects to people making things “easier” for other people to use—I guess I just feel that too many labor-saving devices can make people lazier.  I dunno, just my opinion. smile
(by the way, this is Crafty Dragon, not Dave, I forgot to log him out and me in… red face )

You’re killing me, woman! Killing Me! cool grin

(...reminds self to LOG OUT when done playing with his toys….)

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2008 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
daveprime - 04 March 2008 08:08 PM
daveprime - 04 March 2008 05:09 PM

You’re killing me, woman! Killing Me! cool grin

(...reminds self to LOG OUT when done playing with his toys….)

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 04 March 2008 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

That would be infintely embarassing on the bus. Big guy across from you thinks you’re winking at him and beats you up for being a poofter or you offend the girl sitting opposite.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 04 March 2008 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I don’t own an ipod.  I don’t even own any MP3 playing device.

What would be brilliant was if someone could get my kitchen cleaned up when I blink my eyes.

This story reminds me of something…

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 04 March 2008 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

Ooh, ooh, I want to be able to clean by blinking!  And I used to *love* “I Dream of Jeannie”!

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 05 March 2008 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21
Crafty Dragon - 05 March 2008 04:11 AM

Ooh, ooh, I want to be able to clean by blinking!  And I used to *love* “I Dream of Jeannie”!

Me too…..But probably not in the way that you did…..

cheese

heeheeheeheehee

(..sits back and chews on a cookie while he reminisces…)

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}