Church Terminates Womans Membership for not paying Tithes.
Posted: 09 August 2005 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

The Living Word Tabernacle in Waverly, Ohio, terminated the membership of Loretta Davis recently, according to a July report by WCMH-TV in Columbus, because she had stopped paying her tithe. Davis’ contributions ended in January after she was hospitalized the first of 15 times this year for congestive heart failure. The church’s founder said non-member Davis could still attend, but Davis’ daughter said, “In the time of (her) need, (the church) should be caring, supporting, asking what she needs, help her if she needed help.” (When healthier, Davis was donating $60 a month out of her $592 Social Security check.) [WCMH-TV, 7-15-05] [size=4]

Posted: 09 August 2005 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

It’s more common than you think. When I was in highschool a friend of mine’s father lost his job, and they weren’t able to pay their usual 10% - the priest took his parents aside and told them that they could come back to the (Catholic) church when they could tithe again, till then, they weren’t welcome. My friend became a Prodestant soon after. raspberry

Posted: 09 August 2005 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

WoW…...Thats ridicules…..

Posted: 09 August 2005 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

God’s a business man.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 09 August 2005 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

I have heard churches operate on a law of 80/20 where 80% of expenses or service is produced by 20% of the members. i guess those 20% got a little tired of carying that dead wood.

Posted: 09 August 2005 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

Corrupt businesses usually come with unsavory business practices… so this doesn’t surprise me in the least!

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 20 August 2005 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-08-20

Just finished a study of Stewardship in my Sunday School Class.  I think this church doesn’t get the whole idea of titheing and maybe the whole idea of Christianity!  But I hope the lady doesn’t judge us all by the attitude of that one church.  Bet she got some cards and calls from other churches that are willing to accept her.

Posted: 20 August 2005 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2005-08-20

If this is indeed fact…then, it’s shameful and disgraceful. Small wonder that many view Christians and Christianity in such a dreadfully poor light.

There are those (in the Christian world) that even make a good case that mandatory “tithing” in it’s strictest sense isn’t even applicable in a church that is based on the New Testament.

Bottomline—-any church that would treat a person in this manner (and also as in the case illustrated by Winona) is totally off the mark.

Posted: 21 August 2005 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I’ve tithed all of twice to the church I attend.  Granted, I’m not a member - so maybe it’s not really that big of a deal.  I just don’t attend Sunday mornings, when they do the tithe, they do an offering Sunday night that goes to missions - but I don’t give to that…b/c I usually do Lottie Moon or something during the year.

I’ve never heard of this happening in my parents church.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 22 August 2005 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I know there was one church near me that started only taking notes and no coins from the collection because the priest said he didnt have time to count the petty change or something. It was on the news, I dont remember how it turned out.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

‹‹ Kidsbeer      Diaper Fetish du Jour ››