6 of 6
{/paginate}
Heath Ledger - Dead?!
Posted: 09 February 2008 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Most anti-anxiety medications cause some short term memory loss.  He could have very easily have forgotten what he had already taken and when he took it.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 10 February 2008 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Maegan - 08 February 2008 04:20 PM

He might also have had multiple doctors.  And people frequently forgot to mention what meds they are on.  Or don’t remember the names & go…Hmm, I think it’s ‘this one’.  Well, ‘this one’ is okay with ‘that one’...and the doc prescribes it…not realizing ‘this one’ was really ‘the other one’ and is a lethal combo.

That’s why we have a centralized computer system at pharmacies here in my country. If different doctors prescribe medication that doesn’t go along well, the pharmacy where you get them will ring the bell.

Still, the amount of different meds quoted in the news item above in my opinion is too much to call this an “accident”. Sounds like someone hoarding pills with a very definite purpose to me (getting them prescribed from different doctors so as to not raise alarm fits into this too). If he hadn’t been a celebrity I think this would have been deemed a suicide.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 10 February 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

It is a lot of meds at once…but if you haven’t been sleeping, you might just be desperate for anything to help.  I think Unisom is an OTC medicine…you’re unlikely to OD on something OTC…that’s why they’re available without a prescription.  No one needs to supervise their use b/c they can’t do too much damage on their own.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

{paginate}
6 of 6
{/paginate}