{/paginate}
Heath Ledger - Dead?!
Posted: 29 January 2008 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
David B. - 24 January 2008 11:41 AM

Me too, as the Aussie cops are likely to be a lot less understanding of either their ‘holy mission’.

WBC Member- “GOD HATES FAGS”

Mourner 1- “What the f***?”

Mourner 2- “Streuth! Bruce, get the sticks, mate.”

Mourner 3- “We’ll show you what sodomy is, mate. GET HIM!”

WBC Member- “Uh…”

*Many large Australian men advance on the group to violate them and divide their parts between the barbie, the sharks and the dingoes*

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 29 January 2008 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Accipiter - 26 January 2008 03:51 AM
Maegan - 25 January 2008 05:32 PM

I plead the 5th.

That figures.  wink

[drunk voice]Shhh…I’ve got to tell you a secret![/drunk voice]

wink

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 February 2008 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Heath Ledger died of a tragic accidental overdose of prescription drugs, a coroner has confirmed today.

The 28-year-old actor died of ‘acute intoxication’ caused by a lethal cocktail including ‘painkillers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication.’

‘There was acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine,’ said a medical examiner spokeswoman. ‘What you’re looking at here is the cumulative effects of these medications together,’ she said.

The drugs are the generic names for the OxyContin painkiller, the anti-anxiety drug Valium, Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is another name for ibuprofen.

More here.

I’m happy to hear it wasn’t suicide, whilst still being sad he died. If that makes sense.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 06 February 2008 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28

Hydrocodone is another name for ibuprofen.

This is wrong…
Hydrocodone is a narcotic analgesic.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 06 February 2008 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Boo - 06 February 2008 05:22 PM

I’m happy to hear it wasn’t suicide, whilst still being sad he died. If that makes sense.

I know what you mean - I feel the same way, in that I’m sad that he died, but relieved that he wasn’t feeling so bad that he felt he had to overdose.
Ok, does that make sense?

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 06 February 2008 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Yes it does. That’s pretty much what I meant.
smile

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 06 February 2008 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Valium and sleeping pills. . .not a good mix.  I wonder if anybody ever bothered to tell him about what pills not to take at the same time?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 February 2008 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

All the info you need about meds should be in the pharmacy insert you get with your meds.  We don’t always look at them. It looks like he got this stuff at several different pharmacies.  If he got them at one or even 2 it may have been noticed and the pharmicist could have tried to stop him from getting so many different and synchronizing meds.  The narcotics and the xanax and the sleeping pills and the valium would have all acted together to put him into respitory depression.  He probably had taken some of this over a long period of time and had gotten used to the effects and had to take more to get the same effect.  So sad

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 08 February 2008 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Smerk - 24 January 2008 10:23 AM
Accipiter - 23 January 2008 08:26 PM
LaMa - 23 January 2008 08:18 PM
Smerk - 23 January 2008 10:25 AM

Latest news is that it was probably an overdose on sleeping pills - hopefully it was accidental.

There is no such thing as an “accidental” overdose on sleeping pills really. You need a massive overdose (think: 50 to 100) to kill yourselve.

That would depend on a lot of things, actually.

They could be extra super-strong pills, and he accidentally took as many as he would if they were regular ones.  That’s doubtful, but a possibility.

He could have taken a whole handful of them, thinking that he really needed to get to sleep but would have a hard time doing it.

He could have had a lot of alcohol first, and then taken the pills.  The alcohol would boost the potency of the pills, especially if he was really drunk and forgot how many pills he’d already taken.

Yup, he was on Stilnox.  Apparently known as Ambien in the US.  Has some side-effects (including sleep-walking) that’s caused the Australian Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee to put the stuff under review.

The only really dangerous sleeping medication are the old fashioned barbiturates, which are no longer prescribed. Modern sleeping medication like Stilnox or Temazepam really is not able to kill you unless you take really, really massive quantities (or mix it with other, more dangerous medication like Ledger apparently did). And I really mean “massive” here, not a handful but 100 or more. The only effect of taking a large number of such sleeping medication is that you go into a really long sleep/coma for several days and then wake up again. Not that that is healthy to do, as you risk the possibility of brain damage of some sort too. Believe me: many would-be-suicidals have gone through this disillusion.

So, when things like this happen with sleeping medication, they are really not “accidents”. In fact, seeing the list of stuff that Ledger apparently took in combination and caused his death, I doubt whether that was an accident (or otherwise he had a seriously incompetent doctor). But then, I am not a doctor or coroner of course.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 08 February 2008 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

He might also have had multiple doctors.  And people frequently forgot to mention what meds they are on.  Or don’t remember the names & go…Hmm, I think it’s ‘this one’.  Well, ‘this one’ is okay with ‘that one’...and the doc prescribes it…not realizing ‘this one’ was really ‘the other one’ and is a lethal combo.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 08 February 2008 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

I did hear somewhere that all those prescriptions were from different doctors.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

{paginate}
5 of 6
{/paginate}