1 of 6
Peter Jackson To Produce “The Hobbit”
Posted: 18 December 2007 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

It’s about freaking time.  He’s not named Director (yet?), but this is definitely a huge positive.

And sorry for the all-caps.  That’s the article talking, not me. wink

[url=http://tinyurl.com/2afsac]PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 December 2007 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

. . .and a sequel to

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 December 2007 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

I don’t know.  I was wondering myself.  There are several possibilities I can see.

1) The Silmarillion and the press release just got things mixed up.  Since it would be released after The Hobbit they think it’s a sequel when it’s really a prequel.  (And I have no idea how they would make the Silmarillion into a movie, let alone more than one movie.  It’s very convoluted and covers a whoooole lot of time.)

2) Expanding some story somewhere from the LotR appendices.  (It’s been a while since I read them and I don’t distinctly remember anything in there from between The Hobbit and LotR, but maybe.)

3) Something from any of the various books published after his death that deal with the world.  Again, “sequel” probably isn’t the correct word to use.

4) A completely made up Middle-earth story because, you know, this is a cash cow and people will pay to see it anyway.  Especially if Peter Jackson is attached to it.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 19 December 2007 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

5) They retained the option of keeping him on, in case they make one out of the Simarillion, or some other movie?

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 December 2007 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Tah - 19 December 2007 05:46 AM

4) A completely made up Middle-earth story because, you know, this is a cash cow and people will pay to see it anyway.  Especially if Peter Jackson is attached to it.

I don’t see why they’d simply make up a story, since as you say the Silmarillion has tons and tons and tons of material that could be fleshed out into genuine Tolkien stories.  But Hollywood does some straaaaange things at times.  Just look at the movie I, Robot from a few years back.

Maybe by “sequel” they just mean that it will be a second joint venture between New Line and MGM that focuses on the same world.  It might not be a chronological sequel.  It could be The Children of H

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 December 2007 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Maybe…they are just going back through all the literature & stories Bilbo talked about and creating a chronological movie of his stories of things AFTER the Hobbit.

The Hobbit was always my favorite.  I had the cartoon…one of those “read along” books that came with a tape.  And of course the book.  I loved it a lot more than LOTR…but I think b/c it was more concise.  Beginning…middle…end…all in a single volume.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 19 December 2007 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

All the other writings are too disjointed and too broad.  It would be like making a movie based on an encyclopedia or almanac.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 19 December 2007 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Tah - 19 December 2007 01:17 AM

It’s about freaking time.  He’s not named Director (yet?), but this is definitely a huge positive.

And sorry for the all-caps.  That’s the article talking, not me. wink

[url=http://tinyurl.com/2afsac]PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 19 December 2007 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

- Starring Will Smith.

wink

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 19 December 2007 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2005-06-30

The sequel is the second half of ‘The Hobbit’- they decided the book was too long and complex to put all in one movie.

Posted: 19 December 2007 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Why don’t they just make intermissions anymore?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 19 December 2007 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Snowy - 19 December 2007 10:17 PM

The sequel is the second half of ‘The Hobbit’- they decided the book was too long and complex to put all in one movie.

That actually makes me happy.  Too often they try to cram an entire book into the space of one movie, which ends up doing a disservice to both the book and the movie.  The Harry Potter movies are like that; they’re trying to cram an 800-page book into 150 minutes, and they end up cutting out a lot of the stuff that’s interesting but not absolutely essential (as well as much of the stuff that explains what’s going on).

Signature 

1 of 6