3 of 4
Myspace hoax *UPDATED - Now with Indictments!*
Posted: 10 January 2008 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2007-11-22

I don’t see a point in it, legally she did not break the law as far as I can tell.

Signature 

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

Posted: 15 May 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Mom indicted in MySpace suicide case

LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles federal grand jury indicted a Missouri woman on Thursday over an alleged role in a MySpace online hoax played on a 13-year-old girl who committed suicide.

Lori Drew of suburban St. Louis was indicted on one count of conspiracy and three counts of accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information to inflict emotional distress.

Drew allegedly helped create a false-identity MySpace account to contact neighbor Megan Meier who thought she was chatting with a 16-year-old boy named Josh Evans.

Meier hanged herself in October 2006 after receiving cruel messages, including one stating the world would be better off without her.

Drew, 49, has denied creating the account and sending messages to Megan.

MySpace is based in Beverly Hills. The indictment noted that MySpace computer servers are located in Los Angeles County.

Because of juvenile privacy rules, the U.S. attorney’s office said, the indictment refers to the girl as M.T.M.

Each count in the indictment carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

Last month, an employee of Drew, 19-year-old Ashley Grills, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” she created the false MySpace profile but Drew wrote some of the messages to Megan.

Grills also claimed Drew suggested talking to Megan via the Internet to find out what Megan was saying about Drew’s daughter, who was a former friend of Megan’s.

Grills said she wrote the message to Megan about the world being a better place without her, which was supposed to end the online relationship with “Josh” because Grills felt the joke had gone too far.

“I was trying to get her angry so she would leave him alone and I could get rid of the whole MySpace,” Grills told the morning show.

Megan’s death was investigated by Missouri authorities, but no state charges were filed.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 15 May 2008 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Obviously the fruitful work of prosecutors who’ve been determined to nail the bitch on something. Probably been raking the statutes and case law to find some way to put the nasty cow up against the wall.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 16 May 2008 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

Yeah I hurd about this story a while back ago, kinda sad but pathetic at the same time.

She killed herself simply because she though this boy didn’t like her anymore.
I’m not saying it was right to do it to a girl who’s aready depressed, but kind of a silly thing to kill yourself over, especually as it’s not even in real life, it’s over the internet.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 16 May 2008 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Tah - 15 May 2008 09:23 PM

Mom indicted in MySpace suicide case

“I was trying to get her angry so she would leave him alone and I could get rid of the whole MySpace,” Grills told the morning show.

So what kind of defense is this?  She couldn’t just have NOT logged into the account anymore?

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 16 May 2008 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Bebelicious - 16 May 2008 10:39 AM

So what kind of defense is this?

Offhand, I’d say it’s the Chewbacca defense.

Posted: 16 May 2008 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2004-11-08

Well, some people might not agree with it, but I’m glad that she got indicted.  What she did was a pretty shitty thing to do.  The girl shouldn’t have killed herself, but she was a depressed little kid, and the adult in the situation, Lori, set out to make her feel bad.  Maybe the ruling will prevent situations like this in the future.

Posted: 16 May 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2008-04-11
Nameless - 16 May 2008 09:25 AM

Yeah I hurd about this story a while back ago, kinda sad but pathetic at the same time.

She killed herself simply because she though this boy didn’t like her anymore.
I’m not saying it was right to do it to a girl who’s aready depressed, but kind of a silly thing to kill yourself over, especually as it’s not even in real life, it’s over the internet.

To a 13 year old girl, it could be devastating….
Everything’s a big drama at that age…
I was a 13 year old girl ~ 34 years ago. It was terrible. shock

Signature 

“My chief task has been to conquer fear” - Houdini

Posted: 16 May 2008 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
Sakano - 16 May 2008 12:38 PM

Well, some people might not agree with it, but I’m glad that she got indicted.  What she did was a pretty shitty thing to do.  The girl shouldn’t have killed herself, but she was a depressed little kid, and the adult in the situation, Lori, set out to make her feel bad.  Maybe the ruling will prevent situations like this in the future.

What she did was awful and mean. But, it didn’t violate any laws or the girl’s rights. People have a right to say mean things to you, even if they don’t mean it.

If people couldn’t say mean things to each other, the internet couldn’t exist!

It’s very hard to say this is harrassment, like in the sense of crank phone calls, either, because being the guy’s friend on Myspace is something she had to take an active part in.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 16 May 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Stargazer - 16 May 2008 08:24 PM

What she did was awful and mean. But, it didn’t violate any laws or the girl’s rights. People have a right to say mean things to you, even if they don’t mean it.

It’s very hard to say this is harrassment, like in the sense of crank phone calls, either, because being the guy’s friend on Myspace is something she had to take an active part in.

Why do you say this  

Lori Drew of suburban St. Louis was indicted on one count of conspiracy and three counts of accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information to inflict emotional distress.

is not illegal?

Sounds illegal to me.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 16 May 2008 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Stargazer - 16 May 2008 08:24 PM
Sakano - 16 May 2008 12:38 PM

Star, if you walked into a children’s playground and starting calling names to the first 6 yr old you saw…I bet you’d get into trouble.  Just b/c this didn’t happen face to face doesn’t make it okay.

I, like Sakano am glad they found something to indict her with.  People think the internet gives them free reign to do things they couldn’t do face to face (in real life).  But if it’s not okay to do it in person, why would it be okay to do it online?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

3 of 4