1 of 56
Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Techniques, NAET.  Expensive quackery or miracle treatment?
Posted: 16 November 2007 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2005-07-08

In order to allow for a more in depth look at NAET, and to take the discussion away from the Hoax Forum thread on LifeWave Patches, I’ve taken the liberty of starting this thread.

Hope some folks will follow over from the LifeWave thread.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted: 16 November 2007 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Yay, I hope Anotherone shows up!

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 16 November 2007 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

Anotherone introduced the topic of NAET into the LifeWave thread and I, for one, read about this subject for the first time.

NAET or Nambudripad’S Allergy Elimination Technique, is named after Devi S. Nambudripad, a lady with various letters after her name depending on which web site you read about her.

http://www.naet.com/

Googling NAET brings a wealth of returns, many of which are scathing about the techniques.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/stories/stories/show/2e229a38bbe81029878b0013725222f6

“Expensive Quackery”

“I attended twice weekly sessions, was obsessive about avoiding the

Posted: 17 November 2007 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

NAET

Does it work?

“I spent a year and a half of misery clearing all those things (NAET is hard work) and spent thousands of dollars.

After my last treatment with Lisa I was not feeling well and called her for advice.

She was in a hurry and basically dismissed me. I thought we were “friends” after all that time. But I was obviously wrong, because she has never even called to see if I was O.K.

I never made another appointment. So I guess it was basically just business for her after all. I should know as much by now. Stupid me! I usually always think the best of people.”

http://www.healthdiaries.com/blogs/parentsfault/archives/naet/

“This lady is a Christian so it makes me a little more at ease with this. 

She also said she was very skeptical about it herself when she first saw it but then after trying it she started to realize that it really works.”

http://pluckymama.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/naet-allergy-experience/#comments

http://distanttreating.homestead.com/FreeTreatment.html

Yes folks, this person does distance NAET healing. Now we know it can’t be a scam!

http://distanttreating.homestead.com/CausedByAllergies.html

A list of diseases that can be treated from a distance.

Let’s take just one claim…Alzheimers Disease.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!

They are claiming NAET can treat Alzheimers Disease!

I thought LifeWave patches and the Harmony Chip from Karma Singh were just about the most ridiculous claims to fame out there. I was wrong.

Posted: 19 November 2007 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

Anotherone

Just use your username to log in and then click on Post Reply to open a window to write your comments.

Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on NAET.

Dave

Posted: 19 November 2007 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-19

OK, so we can have the theory we want and all have our opinions..my question is this: a patient comes in to me..12 years old, body covered with eczema for 3 years..I treat her for a sensitvity to eggs..within 48 hours every drop of exczema is gone from her body..or a 45 year old man comes in who cannot eat nuts or beans..after two treatments a lifelong problem of reacting with a swollen tongue to eating lentils is gone and has stayed gone to this day…I will not bore you with 500 examples..but if it works at all what do we do about it? I learned about Naet in 1990 and thought it foolish..once in a while a patient would come in and ask if I can do it and I politely tell them I am not involved with it..in 1997 a woman applies for a job with me..tells me she knows naet..I tell her I will hire her for 2 months..if it works I’ll learn it myself, if not..well, she’s not needed..I send patients to her who all tell me that its great, they feel better in so many ways, but this is just subjective hearsay in my opinion,,until one day she has one of these “miraculous” skin rash conditions go away virtually overnight and I’m in..I never saw anything like it before except for with steroids…can I totally explain it..not really,I have some ideas, but as a clinician what does one do? I can’t explain it so forget it?? No, that’s not fair to my patients..does it work for everyone? No..what does? As for explanations, how many years were aspirins used, for example, when people had no idea of their effect on prostaglandins?  ok,  for now..

Posted: 19 November 2007 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Ouch..

Please, personal request: Format your posts better. Complete sentences, proper punctuation, and capitalization have all been proven to enrich your life.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 November 2007 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Anotherone, did you mention scientific studies in the lifewave thread?  Do you know where any are on the internet?  I’d be interested in seeing some.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 20 November 2007 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-19

No, I believe I mentioned that regarding muscle testing. However, I willl check journal references in my office regarding NAET. Most likely, they will be “in house” journals, meaning they are articles written by and for people involved with the technique. This is the same unfortunate problem that is often seen in medical journals behoven to the pharmaceutical companies, etc. The major study, which I believe is coming out after this year, as I mentioned is on autism and NAET after year two is concluded. I haven’t gotten any preliminary information about year two, but year one was phenomenal by any measurement. These were privately funded and run through a university in Cal I believe.

Posted: 20 November 2007 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

Anotherone,

“...but as a clinician…”

Are we to take it then that you are a “clinician” in the generally accepted sense?

If so, what is your clinical area and what are your medical qualifications?

Many thanks,
Dave

Posted: 20 November 2007 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

Anotherone

“The major study, which I believe is coming out after this year, as I mentioned is on autism and NAET after year two is concluded. I haven’t gotten any preliminary information about year two, but year one was phenomenal by any measurement. These were privately funded and run through a university in Cal I believe.”

I presume this was the study?

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00247156?cond="Hypersensitivity"&rank=44&show_desc=Y#desc

Enrollment:  60
Start Date:  November 2004
Completion Date:  November 2005

I guess results should be available soon?

I was interested to read:

“Study Type:  Interventional
Study Design:  Treatment, Non-Randomized, Open Label, Uncontrolled, Single Group Assignment, Safety/Efficacy Study”

“Sponsored by:  Nambudripad’s Allergy Research Foundation”

You don’t see that as a conflict of interest do you?

Do you have any problems with the design of the so called “study”?

The principle investigator is…

Principal Investigator:    Devi S. Nambudripad, LAc, PhD     The journal of NAET Energetics and Complementary Medicine    

Mmmm

Anyone smell fish?

Anyone?

Posted: 20 November 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

This is probably the trial you meant:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00277407

Enrollment:  48
Start Date:  June 2006
Completion Date:  May 2007

“Treatment of Autistic Children Using NAET Procedures

This study has been completed.”

You will notice a few details of interest.

“Nambudripad’s Allergy Research Foundation
An anonymous Foundation.”

Not sure what that actually means?

“Locations

United States, California
NAET Pain Clinic  
    Buena Park, California, United States, 90621

Sponsors and Collaborators

Nambudripad’s Allergy Research Foundation

An anonymous Foundation.

Investigators

Principal Investigator:    Devi S. Nambudripad, DCLAcPhD     NAR Foundation”

So, essentially, an in house study performed by the woman who started this whole NAET ball rolling, right?

Thoughts anyone?

1 of 56