3 of 3
*UPDATED* Russia sect holes up in cave to await end of world sometime in May next year.
Posted: 02 April 2008 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m sure you can mix it into the dough…

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 April 2008 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

What I find signifigant is that the cultists have been staying in a cave, while their *LEADER* is staying in a cozy warm house!

They were moved to a nearby house where the group

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 April 2008 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
daveprime - 02 April 2008 01:19 AM

(...wonders what flavor cookie one would serve to survivors of a doomsday cult the day after they come to their senses…)

Nut cookies, obviously.

Robin Bobcat - 02 April 2008 09:41 AM

What I find signifigant is that the cultists have been staying in a cave, while their *LEADER* is staying in a cozy warm house!

Well, he has been under arrest since November.  It’s not like it was entirely his choice.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 May 2008 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2005-10-26

Update:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23709043-2,00.html

I always wonder. What do the doomsday cults say when the world doesnt end? I’m sure they have a public excuse, God wasnt ready for us etc, but in their minds, do they realise it wasnt true or are they still brainwashed?

Last Russian doomsday cult members give up

Nine survivors quit Russian doomsday cult
Stench of rotting corpses threaten to intoxicate
Were waiting six months for the end of the world

THE final members of a Russian doomsday cult today quit the cave where they had been waiting six months for the end of the world after the stench of rotting corpses threatened them with intoxication, Interfax reported.

Nine survivors emerged from the muddy bunker outside a village in the region of Penza, 560km south-east of Moscow, the news agency reported.

Interfax quoted local official Vladimir Provotorov saying that they decided to leave because there was “a real threat of poisoning from toxic corpse fumes’’ of two deceased cult members rotting in the cave.

The sect members were part of an ultra-Orthodox splinter group led by bearded guru Pyotr Kuznetsov, who instructed them to go underground last November in wait for the world’s end.

The sect members earlier threatened to blow themselves up with cooking gas canisters if authorities interfered.

Small groups trickled out over the winter and two people died. It was the stench of their corpses that drove out the remaining nine sect members after the remains were exhumed by the emergency services during the early hours of this morning, Penza Governor Oleg Melnichenko told Interfax.

Posted: 16 May 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Usually they say God spared the world because of their selfless devotion but will only continue to do so if everyone comes to believe as they do. This has the dual effect of providing both an immediate salve to their bruised egos and a juicy displacement activity to keep their minds off the nagging doubts.

This is why sects why sects whose prophecies failed to come to pass tend to proselytise quite a bit, according to Leon Festinger’s thesis.

3 of 3