1 of 1
{/paginate}
[Paris] ‘Hilton Tries To Help Drunk Elephants’ Story Apparently Not True
Posted: 13 November 2007 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Edit: I originally posted this News item in this thread about alcoholic, rampaging elephants.  I found it linked on the MSN home page today.  The entire article I found is quoted below.

The story now appears to be false.  When Bebe clicked on the link the story has been removed and the blurb she quotes below is now on the page.

How can you make a drunk elephant story even better?  Well certainly not by adding Paris Hilton to the mix, but here it is.

Hilton Tries to Help Drunk Elephants

GAUHATI, India—Paris Hilton is being praised by conservationists for highlighting the problem of binge-drinking elephants in northeastern India.

Activists said a celebrity endorsement such as Hilton’s was sure to raise awareness of the plight of the pachyderms that get drunk on farmers’ homemade rice beer and then go on a rampage.

“The elephants get drunk all the time. It is becoming really dangerous. We need to stop making alcohol available to them,” the 26-year-old socialite said in a report posted on World Entertainment News Network’s Web site. Her comments were picked up by other Web sites and newspapers around the globe.

Last month, six wild elephants that broke into a farm in the state of Meghalaya were electrocuted after drinking the potent brew and then uprooting an electricity pole.

“There would have been more casualties if the villagers hadn’t chased them away. And four elephants died in a similar way three years ago. It is just so sad,” Hilton was quoted as saying in Tokyo last week. She was in Tokyo to judge a beauty contest.

Her publicist couldn’t immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

Hilton promised to improve her bad-girl image after she completed a jail term in June for violating probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.

She announced plans to do charity work in Rwanda, but the trip was postponed until next year.

Sangeeta Goswami, head of animal rights group People for Animals, told The Associated Press: “I am indeed happy Hilton has taken note of recent incidents of wild elephants in northeast India going berserk after drinking homemade rice beer and getting killed.”

“As part of her global elephant campaign, Hilton should, in fact, think of visiting this region literally infested with elephants,” Goswami said.

Another conservationist said elephant alcohol abuse was just a symptom of the real problem.

“Elephants appear on human settlements because they have no habitat left due to wanton destruction of forests,” said Soumyadeep Dutta, who heads Nature’s Beckon, a leading regional conservation group.

“A celebrity like Hilton must focus her attention on this fact,” Dutta said.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 November 2007 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

HILTON?!?! The *hell*?!

*bangs head on desk*

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Robin Bobcat - 13 November 2007 10:31 PM

HILTON?!?! The *hell*?!

*bangs head on desk*

Well, ya.  The beer makes them, like fat, you know?

Now the link says:

AP Retracts Paris Hilton Story

In a Nov. 13 story, The Associated Press incorrectly reported that Paris Hilton was praised by conservationists for highlighting the problem of binge-drinking elephants in northeastern India. Lori Berk, a publicist for Hilton, said she never made any comments about helping drunken elephants in India.

The AP

Maybe we can move it to the Hoax section!

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 13 November 2007 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Hah!  That’s hilarious.  I think I’ll split it off and move the Hilton part to Hoaxes.  And then contact Alex about it. cheese

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 November 2007 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Oh thank all that is good and shiny in the world….

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 14 November 2007 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I always thought Paris Hilton was a hoax

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 14 November 2007 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

She’s not really trying to save the inebriated elephants?  Oh dear.  My faith in her has just been shaken.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 November 2007 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

I think we need to put the right spin on the story…

“Paris Hilton doesn’t give a flying crap about plight of alcoholic circus performers.”

Hee hee..

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2007 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14
Accipiter - 14 November 2007 05:00 PM

She’s not really trying to save the inebriated elephants?  Oh dear.  My faith in her has just been shaken.

Not stirred??

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}