Genocide.
Posted: 26 October 2007 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I don’t have anything to back this up…and the only reason I am mentioning it is b/c of something I listened to for less than 5 minutes on the radio last night.

Dr. Drew Pinsky was talking to two men about getting some issues on a ballot (I tuned in late, so I’m not sure what it was)...they were saying how this is the perfect time for it.  Then I realize they are discussing closing down a US Airbase in Turkey.  B/c Turkey is trying to invade Northern Iraq (I am naive about most of that stuff - so don’t try to ask me more), and since the US is IN Iraq…and we’re supposed to be keeping invaders out…how were we going to protect Iraq AND continue to “aid” Turkey [b/c of the airbase]??  Anywho…as the conversation progressed Dr. Drew asked about something in Kuwait.  The guest on the show said that “no one will acknowledge the genocide happening in Kuwait…”  He started to speak about it more…and suddenly I hear silence.  I checked my other stations - they were all working.  But I couldn’t get ANY sound on that ONE station.  No static, no random sounds playing through from other stations…

It was just the most bizarre thing.  What’s the FCC up to anyway?

They made it seem like a current thing…not something from the past.  I didn’t have any luck searching google for details…but maybe I’m using the wrong key words.  I just thought the radio silence was a bit weird.  I switched around stations a little more…and when I got back to the station that I had been on - it was commercials & then I was home.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 26 October 2007 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

NPR drops all the time on my local PBS station, so I wouldn’t think too much about it. 

The only references to genocide in Kuwait that I can find refer to the Iraq invasion.  Perhaps you were listening to an old interview, for whatever reason, or perhaps the guy either knows something nobody else does or he’s a loon.

As far as Turkey invading Iraq, that’s a *really* touchy subject right now, especially after the congressional recognition of the genocide committed by Turkey in Armenia.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 26 October 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I didn’t even think about it being an old broadcast.  LOL

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 26 October 2007 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I do remember that there were complaints that, after the Iraqis were kicked out, the Kuwaitis started persecuting anybody whom they felt might have been a collaborator.  Maybe it’s something about that?

They don’t really have any one group that’s in a majority; the population is a real mix.  And a whole third of their population is made up of foreign guest workers, who certainly wouldn’t be staying if there are massacres happening all over the place.  Really, Kuwait is probably one of the more tolerant nations in the world.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 27 October 2007 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Meagan, is this what you are thinking of?

The US Congress is considering passing a bill that will call the Turkish killing of Armenians during (after?) WWI a genocide.

However Bush has threatened to veto it if it passes.  Sadly he’s probably right that politically it’s not in our best interest.

The problem is that it is illegal to call that incident a genocide in Turkey.  In fact, insulting turkishness (whatever that means) is illegal in Turkey.  Right now Turkey is one of the US’s most important allies in Iraq, not the least of which that they let us keep military bases there which we use as a base for supplies and such.  The war may not be doing well now, but without Turkey’s support it is pretty much impossible (which may not be such a bad thing, come to think of it). 

But, the point is that Turkey has threatened to close the military bases if the US recognizes the Turkish genocide as…well, a genocide.  So, Congress has been fighting over it for awhile (I believed it passed in the house and is now in the Senate).  They probably won’t be able to garner enough support to override a veto anyways.

Sorry if any of my details are wrong.  This is all from memory.  I believe this weeks and last weeks Economist had some good articles on it.  Someone whose less sleep deprived (i.e. lazy) than me can go find it online if you want.  Also, this may not be what you’re thinking of, but it does have the main keywords “Turkey, genocide, US Airbase, Northern Iraq.”  Oh, and m knowledge may be outdated (maybe it already passed the senate???).

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 27 October 2007 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Actually, reading your post again, I think I’m way off.  These can’t be the same story.  I blame tiredness.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse