3 of 4
Funny or odd street names in your town.
Posted: 26 October 2007 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Heh. I forgot the one that inspired the conversation that inspired the thread.

Peffermill (I assume it’s German, or of a similar language, but I don’t know why.)

Oh, and Blinkbonnie. That’s a good one.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 26 October 2007 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1826
Joined  2006-03-03

I remember seeing Cock Burn Road one night..

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Because dignity is overrated anyway cheese

Posted: 26 October 2007 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Yeah, we’ve got a Cockburn (pronounced co-burn) Street.
It usually makes me snigger.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 26 October 2007 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

The street I live in, translates as Wet Garden street.

But the street in my city with the best name ever would be ‘Straatje-zonder-einde’ (‘Street Without End’ ). Which is the ONLY street within the old city limits that has a real dead end (a solid wall).  LOL

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 26 October 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1826
Joined  2006-03-03

It’s kinda off topic but I also saw a shop Woodcocks, on closer inspection I found the owners name to be Ivor…....

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Because dignity is overrated anyway cheese

Posted: 29 March 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

*revives old thread, as it is closest in nature to what he has to report*

Today I saw a church not too far from here.  The name of it:  St. Claire’s Bottom Baptist Church.  Located in St. Claire’s Bottom.  Rather unfortunate choice of a geographical feature to name after a person.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 March 2010 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

Well, since I’ve missed this in perusing the forum before, I’ll add that there are two streets that intersect near where I used to work named Harriet Ave. and Beecher St.  There is, however, no Stowe.  I was constantly disappointed.

As to Oppie’s note on the ‘entertainment,’ we have one of those (located prominently on Washington Ave.), though it only has 100’s of beautiful girls (instead of 1000’s) to offset the three ugly ones.

Posted: 08 July 2010 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-07-08

There is a street in Edinburgh called Cuddy Lane & a Dick Place in Morningside

Posted: 09 July 2010 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5510
Joined  2007-03-14

Near my girlfriends place in Alexandria and Wilder, Ky they have Licking Pike.  And while to exactly a street, Big Bone Lick State Park is near there too.  That sure doesn’t mean the same thing to me as it does to the locals.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 July 2010 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
gray - 09 July 2010 08:50 PM

Near my girlfriends place in Alexandria and Wilder, Ky they have Licking Pike.  And while to exactly a street, Big Bone Lick State Park is near there too.  That sure doesn’t mean the same thing to me as it does to the locals.

I’ve seen the sign “This exit to Big Bone Lick State Park”.  In Indiana, there’s “French Lick”.  French Lick Resort is a big couples retreat.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 15 August 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-07-08
Boo - 26 October 2007 09:14 AM

Heh. I forgot the one that inspired the conversation that inspired the thread.

Peffermill (I assume it’s German, or of a similar language, but I don’t know why.)

Oh, and Blinkbonnie. That’s a good one.

Recorded as Peppar, Pepper, Peever, Peffer, Peppard, Pepperd, Pippard, and others, this is a surname of English medieval origins. It derives from the word “peper”, itself ultimately from the Roman Latin word “piper” meaning pepper. As such it was given as an occupational name to a pepperer or spicer. The forms as Peever and Peffer come from the Old French “pivre” meaning pepper.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Pepper#ixzz0wgr7j3X3

I assume there was a pepper mill there at some point

Blink Bonnie is the alliterative term for a glimpse of beauty. To the Scot it has a deeper meaning, a meaning so haunting and yet so elusive that nothing else but Blink Bonnie can give it form. It sums up tor us in this case the enchantment of a magnificent expanse of open countrv.

a vista of mountain, glen, loch and moor Little Scotland, it you care to think of it so, a fine miniature on which Nature has lavished especial care. The Scot abroad longs for “a blink o’ his ain countne ” or “a bonnie blythe blink of his ain fireside,” a longing that epitomises his ideal of sweet contentment.

3 of 4