1 of 4
Funny or odd street names in your town.
Posted: 25 October 2007 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I have been putting together a database at work with names and addresses in it, and it got me to thinking about street and area names.
There’s an awful lot of weird ones in Edinburgh.
So, what have you got?

One rule, and one rule only… if you’re offering names, you have to at least have lived in that town for a period of time.
wink

So, I give you:

Parrotshot (no idea)
Dumbiedykes (no idea)
The Jewel (perhaps the roads are in a diamond pattern?)
World’s End Close (when Edinburgh was just a small area around the castle, it was a walled city. This was the nearest close to the wall, and ‘the end of the [civilised] world’, so I see the logic. However, it just sounds really ominous.)

Anyone else?

Image Attachments
s05-worldsend.jpg
 Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 25 October 2007 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-03-12

The only one I can think of at the moment for where I live now is Silopanna Ave, which is the name of the town (Annapolis)spelled backwards.

Back where I used to live in Pennsylvania there was a Gallows Hill Road… you can guess what they did there.

Posted: 25 October 2007 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

For several years I have lived in the “Diefsteeg” (“Thieves alley”).

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 25 October 2007 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Heh, a lot of the Aboriginal names used can be interesting.  And I’ve taken a smidgeon of liberty, and the following are all in the 1998 Perth Street Directory.

Badgerup Road
Bonewood Court
Bygum Lane
Kookerbrook Street
Pensioner Guard Road

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 25 October 2007 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

It was always morbidly fitting that one of the most famous unsolved (now solved thankfully) murders in Scottish criminal history was the World’s End Killings (the girls were last seen in the World’s End Pub).

There’s a street in Yorkshire called Whipmawhopmagate. Where you went to whip your wife with birch twigs if she was playing around.

I live on the corner of Gallowgate (no prizes for guessing what they did here). There’s not too many cool names in Glasgow.
All our streets are named after great thinkers and inventors and statesmen downer

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

We have a lot of names around here that might just sound funny to a lot of people (Wicomico, Nassawango, Wetipquin, Chassaconessix, etc), but then that can be said for just about any name.

There are a few names that also are just oddly appropriate (or inappropriate), though.  There’s Division Street, which has the southern half divided from the northern half by about three miles.  And the fact that there’s an all-girl Catholic high school on Ogle Avenue has merited some mention from various people.  And Deep Harbor Road is a bit of an odd name, since it’s about as far from any navigable water as you can get around here and is on a hill.

We also have a Muddy Hole Road, East Eden Road, Pea Hill Gut, Nutters Neck Road, Cat Hell Road, Experimental Road, and Mild Stagger Road.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 October 2007 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 25 October 2007 03:54 PM

We have a lot of names around here that might just sound funny to a lot of people (Wicomico, Nassawango, Wetipquin, Chassaconessix, etc), but then that can be said for just about any name.

There are a few names that also are just oddly appropriate (or inappropriate), though.  There’s Division Street, which has the southern half divided from the northern half by about three miles.  And the fact that there’s an all-girl Catholic high school on Ogle Avenue has merited some mention from various people.  And Deep Harbor Road is a bit of an odd name, since it’s about as far from any navigable water as you can get around here and is on a hill.

We also have a Muddy Hole Road, East Eden Road, Pea Hill Gut, Nutters Neck Road, Cat Hell Road, Experimental Road, and Mild Stagger Road.

Mild Stagger Road must be filled with pubs…

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 25 October 2007 04:18 PM

It’s actually out in the middle of nowhere right now, but a few hundred years ago. . .who knows?  Towns here have a habit of sort of migrating along.

Renquist - 25 October 2007 03:11 PM

All our streets are named after great thinkers and inventors and statesmen downer

Great Glaswegian thinkers and Glaswegian inventors and Glaswegian statesmen?  Gosh, I didn’t realise that Glasgow was such a small town.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 October 2007 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 25 October 2007 04:23 PM
Renquist - 25 October 2007 04:18 PM

It’s actually out in the middle of nowhere right now, but a few hundred years ago. . .who knows?  Towns here have a habit of sort of migrating along.

Renquist - 25 October 2007 03:11 PM

Great Glaswegian thinkers and Glaswegian inventors and Glaswegian statesmen?  Gosh, I didn’t realise that Glasgow was such a small town.  wink

You say that like you guys invented anything of use LOL

I have cheese in the fridge older than your country.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I used to live near a place called ‘One Tree Hill’ it was a hill covered with trees.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 25 October 2007 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Sharruma - 25 October 2007 06:07 PM

I used to live near a place called ‘One Tree Hill’ it was a hill covered with trees.

That’s a pretty accurate name then.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28

One of the exotic clubs in Lansing, Michigan is located on Jolly road… talk about good marketing (linky is safe for work)

Location, Location, Location!

The club’s tagline is: Deja Vu Showgirls:: 1000’s of Beautiful Girls and 3 Ugly Ones! LOL

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

1 of 4