{/paginate}
Is cheating a criminal offense?
Posted: 24 September 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

ABC News Video of Cheating crime

Though cheating in itself may be simply a violation, I too wonder about the breaking and entering…..

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3629333&page=1

By ANN-MARIE DORNING
Sept. 20, 2007

For a small town, Hanover, N.H., is home to some prestigious institutions. Dartmouth College, a member of the Ivy League, is nestled in the center of town, and the renowned Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is right down the road.

Incomes and housing prices are high in Hanover, and so are parents’ expectations. Every June, the local Valley News prints a list of students next to the name of the college they will attend. “The status symbol here is not what car you drive but where your kids go to college,” said Jim Kenyon, a columnist for Valley News.

And now in this academic pressure cooker a cheating scandal has roiled tensions and divided the town.

Kenyon’s 17-year-old son, Nicholas, and eight of his classmates from Hanover High School are facing criminal charges in connection with a series of events that took place at the school last June.

According to police, just before final exams, several students stole a set of keys, broke into a locked cabinet and grabbed some math exams while other students acted as lookouts. A few days later, more students allegedly stole chemistry exams. The police report states that other students were enlisted to figure out the answers, and the results may have been widely distributed. As many as 60 students may have cheated.

Charges Lodged

After an investigation, four students were charged with criminal trespass for their alleged role in the theft. Five other students, who allegedly acted as lookouts, have been charged with “criminal liability for the conduct of another.”

In New Hampshire’s criminal justice system, 17-year-olds are treated as adults. All these charges are classified as Class B misdemeanors, and carry a fine of $1,200, but no jail time.

“This was not a crime of opportunity. This was premeditated. There were some plans that were tried and then retried. They made some serious attempts. We do not investigate things like cheating, but this was breaking and entering,” said Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaconne.

..................continued on article site:  http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3629333&page=1

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 September 2007 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I suppose that whether or not cheating is a criminal offense depends on the laws of the town, county, state, and all that (I seriously doubt that Federal law would have anything to do with it in this case).

On the other hand, those test copies were school property when the students took them, and they did go into parts of the school that they knew they were not supposed to be in.  And in just about any legal system that I know of in the US, conspiring to sneak into places you’re not supposed to go and then stealthily taking things that belong to somebody else qualify as crimes.  It’s just the severity of the crime that is up for question.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 24 September 2007 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
Accipiter - 24 September 2007 01:21 PM

I suppose that whether or not cheating is a criminal offense depends on the laws of the town, county, state, and all that (I seriously doubt that Federal law would have anything to do with it in this case).

Unless they cheated across state lines. wink

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 25 September 2007 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Tah - 24 September 2007 10:59 PM
Accipiter - 24 September 2007 01:21 PM

Unless they cheated across state lines. wink

Could be worse. COuld be Canada-US border cheating.

Then you’ve got Mounties to do with it. Then you’re humped.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}