‘Vocal Terrorism’
Posted: 17 September 2007 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Computers could mimic human speech so perfectly that vocal terrorism could be a new threat in 10-15 years’ time, scientists suggest.
In the future, it may be possible to mimic someone’s voice exactly after recording just one sentence.
Such technologies would pose a danger if it were not possible to verify who was speaking, researchers believe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6994595.stm

It’s a rather worrying thought…

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 17 September 2007 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

We really will have to use other identifiers then that may require us to actually go to the geographic location where information needs to be given or a way to verify dna, retina etc. via computer as well as vocal.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 17 September 2007 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

This is just how Data took over the Enterprise that one time!!!

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 17 September 2007 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

I notice a lot of computers coming out nowadays with fingerprint scanners built in.  It might be possible to associate the voice print with a fingerprint for verification.  It would be a lot harder for a computer to mimic a fingerprint if a physical input at the other end is required.  Mind you with technology today i guess that could be done if someone put their mind to it.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website