2 of 3
Steve Fossett missing [UPDATED: Wreckage and remains found]
Posted: 04 September 2007 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

Nope, only Florida cheese The place where all the old people live and you don’t pay tax.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 04 September 2007 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

We you actually do pay taxes, just in different ways from other places.  The Westerly states especially nevada is mostly a vast wasteland of nothing.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 04 September 2007 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3214
Joined  2007-05-18

Yeah, what there is mostly out there is lots of space. You could easily lose something a lot bigger than an airplane.

Posted: 04 September 2007 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

As an adult he was named a Distinguished Eagle Scout and awarded the Silver Buffalo by the Boy Scouts of America.

Did he get hit by a car?

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 10 September 2007 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

[removed]

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 September 2007 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

Yesterday they said they had found the remains of six other lost aircraft, but not his plane.  Gives you some idea of how easy it is to get lost out there.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/09/fossett.missing.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 10 September 2007 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3214
Joined  2007-05-18

Reminds me of my favorite murder case, back when I was working at a paper in the Southern California desert. Some guys were riding their dirt bikes out in the desert when they found a human skull—not really fresh, but then again clearly not ancient either. They were out in the middle of nowhere, so they marked the spot they’d found it, and turned it over to the sheriff’s office. There obviously wasn’t a need for great haste, so the next weekend, the sheriff got together a posse—yes, they still have posses where I come from, and they are mostly volunteers, which is why the search waited for the weekend—to look for the skeleton that the skull came from.

They didn’t find it. Instead, they found an entirely different skeleton with a skull of its own, buried in a shallow grave.

As far as I know, no explanation was ever found for either John Doe 13 (the initial skull) or John Doe 14 (the skeleton with the second skull).

Yeah, there’s a LOT of space in the Southwestern U.S.

Posted: 10 September 2007 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Kathleen - 10 September 2007 08:11 PM

Reminds me of my favorite murder case, back when I was working at a paper in the Southern California desert. Some guys were riding their dirt bikes out in the desert when they found a human skull—not really fresh, but then again clearly not ancient either. They were out in the middle of nowhere, so they marked the spot they’d found it, and turned it over to the sheriff’s office. There obviously wasn’t a need for great haste, so the next weekend, the sheriff got together a posse—yes, they still have posses where I come from, and they are mostly volunteers, which is why the search waited for the weekend—to look for the skeleton that the skull came from.

They didn’t find it. Instead, they found an entirely different skeleton with a skull of its own, buried in a shallow grave.

As far as I know, no explanation was ever found for either John Doe 13 (the initial skull) or John Doe 14 (the skeleton with the second skull).

Yeah, there’s a LOT of space in the Southwestern U.S.

For some reason I’m picturing a cross between Sheriff JW Pepper in Live and Let Die and Sheriff Buford T Justice in Smokey and the Bandit...

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 10 September 2007 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
Renquist - 10 September 2007 11:51 PM

For some reason I’m picturing a cross between Sheriff JW Pepper in Live and Let Die and Sheriff Buford T Justice in Smokey and the Bandit...

I can’t get the image of Don Knotts holding a skull in each hand with a perplexed expression on his face out of my head.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 11 September 2007 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Maybe Steve just flew away.
Not wanting to wane away of old age.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 02 October 2008 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

I thought we had a thread on this.  I’m surprised it hasn’t been updated before now.

Steve Fossett’s pilot’s license and other ID were found by a hiker earlier this week.  The man reported it to the local authorities and they searched .  The plane wreckage has now been found with some human remains.

Human remains found at Fossett wreckage site

MAMMOTH LAKES, Calif. - Federal investigators said Thursday they found human remains amid the wreckage of Steve Fossett’s airplane in the mountains of eastern California, just over a year after the millionaire adventurer vanished on a solo flight.

The remains were found among a field of debris that stretched 400 feet long and 150 feet wide in a steep section of the Sierra Nevada, the National Transportation Safety Board said.

Some personal effects also were found at the crash site but investigators would not describe them in any detail.

“We found human remains, but there’s very little. Given the length of time the wreckage has been out there, it’s not surprising there’s not very much,” said acting NTSB Chairman Mark Rosenker said. “I’m not going to elaborate on what it is.”

The mangled debris of the plane was spotted in the air late Wednesday near the town of Mammoth Lakes and was identified by its tail number. Investigators said the plane had slammed straight into a mountainside.

“It was a hard-impact crash, and he would’ve died instantly,” said Jeff Page, emergency management coordinator for Lyon County, Nev., who assisted in the search.

Coroners to probe DNA
NTSB investigators went into the mountains Thursday to figure out what caused the plane to go down. Most of the fuselage disintegrated on impact, and the engine was found several hundred feet away at an elevation of 9,700 feet, authorities said.

“It will take weeks, perhaps months, to get a better understanding of what happened,” Rosenker said before investigators set off.

Search crews and cadaver dogs scoured the steep terrain around the crash site in hopes of finding at least some trace of his body and solving the mystery of his disappearance once and for all.

Rosenker said searchers found enough remains at the site to provide coroners with DNA.

Searchers familiar with the mountainous wilderness noted the many coyotes and other wildlife in the area, and Madera County Sheriff John Anderson said: “It’s quite often if you don’t find remains within a few days, because of animals, you’ll find nothing at all.”

Fossett was 63 when he vanished on Sept. 3, 2007, after taking off in a single-engine Bellanca from a Nevada ranch owned by hotel magnate Barron Hilton. The intrepid balloonist, pilot and all-around thrill-seeker was scouting locations for an attempt to break the land speed record in a rocket-propelled car.

Fossett’s disappearance spurred a huge search that covered 20,000 square miles, cost millions of dollars and included the use of infrared technology. Eventually, a judge declared Fossett legally dead in February. For a while, many of his friends held out hope he survived, given his many close scrapes with death over the years.

The breakthrough

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

2 of 3