{paginate}
1 of 3
{/paginate}
Florida sea monster circa 1929
Posted: 02 September 2007 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-09-02

Recently inherited 1929 edition of “The Wonder Book of Knowledge” with an article reprinted from “The American Magazine” about a huge fish (gills) that looks like a cross between a shark and a whale, although clearly not a whale-shark.  Cartilage instead of bone indicates it was a baby and the small eyes and lack of dilation suggests it lived at very deep levels.  Took several days to land the creature by a Captain Charles H. Thompson of the yacht “Samoa” off Miami, Florida.  Searching the internet for more info on the validity of the stories and pictures (or the lack thereof) and I cannot find anything one way or the other.  Found this website in my search and cannot find anything here either.  Anyone out there have any kind of info on this creature or event or know where else I can turn?  Don’t know why I have an obsessed curiosity with this, but I would like to satisfy it and get it off my brain….

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Most of what I’m finding are just links to you looking for more information. Although I am trying a few different aproaches.

For starters, I found this about The American Magazine: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAamericanM.htm

Interesting quote:

It soon established itself as one of America’s leading investigative magazines. However, its opponents accused the magazine of muckraking journalism.

The captain isn’t turning up any information, except that there was a Captain in Vietnam of the same name. I also haven’t found anything about the boat yet, although that might take a while.

Who wrote the article in question?

Info on the magazine itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Magazine

Too bad they stopped publishing…

Still looking wink

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Well…..Transfrmr beat me to the punch, although I hadn’t gotten quite as far as he did tongue wink

This might be something that would turn up better results at an actual library. I’d start with searching for the magazine itself and take it from there.

Were there any pictures of the fish? If there are, what the chances of you being able to scan and post them?

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-02

You 2 folks have found what little I have…there has to be an answer somewhere…yes, there is a picture, but no author listed…wish I had a scanner…will take the book to Kinko’s and see if I can’t scan it there somehow and post later (considering the holiday, maybe Tuesday?) so check back, especially if you DO find info…someone on Yahoo Answers suggested finding nautical records for the “Samoa” but I am apparently searching wrong or something….

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

A cross between a shark and a whale????  Whales are mammals, and sharks are fish—no crossing is possible, so how could something “look” like something that is impossible?

It sounds like it was fish, so it has NO real resemblance to a mammal.

Also, why would cartilage instead of bone indicate it was a baby?  Sharks have cartilaginous skeletons—not true bones.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-07

I can’t find much about the ship online, but I have to agree with the answer that you received from someons on Yahoo. Ships records were generally meticulously kept, and finding records of the Samoa might be the only way to find out more about this.

If you can post the name of the author of the article, maybe we can get a bit more background on them, and shed some light on it. Particularly if the author was prone to “embellishing” stories.

All I keep turning up are stories of the St. Augustine Sea Monster, which washed ashore in 1896 and clearly isn’t related to this one.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-02

Just quoting the article about the cartilage (I am not a zoologist so I don’t know if that’s a fact or not)....read the above link on the history of the magazine itself and maybe it was a predecessor of “Weekly World News” and everything is fake?  That would be funny that such a publication as the “The Wonder Book of Knowledge” wouldn’t check out facts before publishing….

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

I’m not sure how to search old nautical records via the web. I’m not even sure where to start in order to get ahold of nautical records. Maybe someone else here is a boat person who would know.

I think there was a WWII ship named SS Samoa, but it wasn’t a yacht and wasn’t in Florida, so I doubt they are the same. smile

EDIT: Yeah, google confirms there was a freighter named SS Samoa that was attacked by a Japanese submarine. Not that it has any bearing whatsoever on this matter, lol.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Oh, and I agree with Joe in his comments regarding the cartilidge. smile

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-07

Not too easy to find records for that long ago, especially online. If you could find the home port of the ship, or where the captain is from, it might help, but still would be a chore and might require physically looking through period records that have not been recorded digitally yet. It also depends on the size and nature of the ship.

Do you think you could scan and provide the whole article? If not scanned, at least type it in word-for-word? The more information, the easier it will be to track down. Right now it seems that The American Magazine was the only place this event was really reported, that makes the story a tad suspicious in itself since other stories of sea monsters from the time and earlier can be found all over the place.

The description in general seems pretty suspect, so I think we may have more luck tracking down the author rather than trying to find the ship, captain, or more articles about the “fish”.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2007 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-02

There is no author mentioned in the book anywhere, contents or index.  The only acknowledgements to the article is “Courtesy of The American Magazine” and the picture is credited to “Capt. Chas. H. Thompson” so I am assuming it’s the same Charles H. Thompson who owns the yacht “Samoa”.  There is 2 other men mentioned in the article—a crew member and a “winter visitor to Florida” but no actual names of those 2 men.  It took 39 hours to wear the creature out and “hundreds of spectators gathered on the trestle of the East Coast sea-extension railway on Knight’s Key” which (according to the article) is 110 miles from Miami.  Looks like a whale shark but has 5 gills.  “Probable” it was a baby of its species as the backbone was of a cartilaginous nature.  Silver dollar size eyes.  Pupil did not dilate or contract.  According to the description with the picture, 45 feet in length; 30,000 pounds in weight; circumfrence 23 feet 9 inches; diameter 8 feet 3 inches; mouth (open) 31 inches; mouth 38 inches wide; mouth 43 inches deep; tongue 40 inches long; several thousand teeth; hide 3 inches thick; no scales; had swallowed an animal weighing 1500 pounds; tail measures 10 feet from tip to tip; pectoral fin 5 feet long, 3 feet wide; dorsal fin 3 feet long, 2 feet 9 inches wide; gills 4 feet; the liver weighed 1700 pounds.  I am only a grandmother, not a mathmetician to prove or disprove the picture—looks like a whale shark with gills, a funny mouth, and tiny eueballs.  Does any of this help without reprinting the entire article until I can scan the picture?

Posted: 02 September 2007 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-02

I know the entire article and the picture ore more than likely faked, just found it fascinating for some reason…

{paginate}
1 of 3
{/paginate}