{paginate}
1 of 50
{/paginate}
Perpetual motion is finally here!
Posted: 05 August 2005 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

According to Russian newspaper Pravda, Russian inventor Vyacheslav Strushchenko has built a perpetual motor.
He has not patented his invention yet so.. heres your chance.

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/379/15849_perpetual.html

Posted: 05 August 2005 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

There’ve been a lot of people who have claimed to have invented the perpetual motor.

Of course, just because none of them have ever worked, doesn’t mean his won’t.
I know which way I’m betting, though.

I note that the entire article is made up of his claims, too, rather than any statements by anyone else…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 05 August 2005 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

Conversion requires energy. Energy does not just magically appear. To get energy from something (such as a perpetual motor) would require input. Total input must equal output plus amount lost during conversion. Perpetual motors aren’t even logical and will never exist. You cannot get something (energy) for nothing (no energy source) and therefore it’s time to move on…

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 05 August 2005 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Thanks, more-scientific-than-me guy!
smile

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 05 August 2005 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22

No problem “Cuter & Feisty-ier” than me girlie…

cheese

Anything, Anytime, Anywhere! wink

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 05 August 2005 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2005-08-03

“Vyacheslav Strushchenko decided to invent a magnetic motor in 1975. The inventor read more than a hundred books to gain necessary knowledge.”

It’s a pity none of them were about physics.

Signature 

I’m not an idiot. I just play one in a roleplaying game.

Posted: 05 August 2005 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Mark-N-Jen - 05 August 2005 09:51 PM

Conversion requires energy. Energy does not just magically appear. To get energy from something (such as a perpetual motor) would require input. Total input must equal output plus amount lost during conversion. Perpetual motors aren’t even logical and will never exist. You cannot get something (energy) for nothing (no energy source) and therefore it’s time to move on…

Not to be picky (not me), but what you’re describing is an ‘over-unity’ generator. Some perpetual motion machines have been dreamed up by reputable physicists; I’m thinking of Richard Feynman’s “Brownian Rachet” and John Walker’s “Cosmic Background Engine”. While these are not ‘perpetual’ in the true “something for nothing” sense, most of these (theoretically) operate by extracting work from an effectively limitless free energy source (zero-point energy, brownian motion, cosmic background radiation). A sort of “something for something-else-no-one-wanted” scenario.

As even the USPTO won’t patent an over-unity device (it’s therefore literally ‘patently absurd’), so most of the modern perpetual motion scams claim to be tapping a ‘hitherto unknown/inaccessible/inefficient’ energy source to power their McGuffins.

Posted: 05 August 2005 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22
David B. - 06 August 2005 12:22 AM
Mark-N-Jen - 05 August 2005 09:51 PM

Not to be picky (not me), but what you’re describing is an ‘over-unity’ generator. Some perpetual motion machines have been dreamed up by reputable physicists; I’m thinking of Richard Feynman’s “Brownian Rachet” and John Walker’s “Cosmic Background Engine”. While these are not ‘perpetual’ in the true “something for nothing” sense, most of these (theoretically) operate by extracting work from an effectively limitless free energy source (zero-point energy, brownian motion, cosmic background radiation). A sort of “something for something-else-no-one-wanted” scenario.

As even the USPTO won’t patent an over-unity device (it’s therefore literally ‘patently absurd’), so most of the modern perpetual motion scams claim to be tapping a ‘hitherto unknown/inaccessible/inefficient’ energy source to power their McGuffins.

And not to be picky here… but like you said…

“While these are not

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 05 August 2005 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Perpetual does not mean ‘something for nothing’ though. A perpetual motor is one that runs forever (or at least as long as there is a universe for it to run in). Thought-experiment machines based on cosmic background radiation, Casimir effects, artificial singularities, and all that normal ‘Star Trek’ fare qualify both as perpetual and physically possible.

On a different tack. I once saw a fantastic machine whereby a convoluted glass tube filled with mercury, mounted on a disc, ran through a small array of carefully positioned permanent magnets. The demonstrator (it might have been Johnny Ball on the BBC’s “Think of a Number” program) would place the device on a table, gently release the brake resting against the axle, and after a few seconds the thing would start to spin on its own. The trick was to work out why.

Image Attachments
perpetual.jpg

Posted: 20 August 2005 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2005-08-20

There’s always this guy. I’ve been trying to figure him out for a while.

Not perpetual motion, but close.

http://www.theverylastpageoftheinternet.com/magneticDev/finsrud/finsrud.htm

Posted: 01 September 2005 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2005-09-01

It’s the attitude of most intellectuals that the law of thermodynamics can’t be broken so don’t even bother trying to create a perpetual motion machine!

They say it’s impossible so don’t even try etc… Your branded a crackpot if you do try. It’s this attitude which stiffles creative thinking and experimenting to find ways
to circumvent this law.. You have to put energy in to get energy out. True, but what about the energy or forces that exist and are all around us? Gravity for one is a continuing force that will drive an object with mass continually downwards.. Tapping into these energies could provide the answer. An inventor by the name of Bessler created a wheel in the 18th century which was powered by weights & gravity. It was very well tested & documented. This machine apparantly worked and it could do work. References can be found on the web. Just google “Bessler wheel”. Although his trade secret went with him to his grave, the amount of people who witnessed and verified the machine cannot be dismissed.

What I am saying is that If you think & believe that something is impossible then.. IT IS! But most and nearly all laws of motion, thermodynamics have been derived
by experimentation, trials, and THEORY! Open your mind to the possibilities and challenge the norm. This is the only way new theories & laws can be explored. Don’t say it’s impossible. Say it could be. You just have to find the right methods!

Cheers!

Posted: 02 September 2005 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22
SeaWasp - 02 September 2005 01:51 AM

It’s the attitude of most intellectuals that the law of thermodynamics can’t be broken so don’t even bother trying to create a perpetual motion machine!

really? they say dont even bother to try?

{paginate}
1 of 50
{/paginate}