{/paginate}
Reincarnation Banned in Tibet Without Chinese Government’s Permission
Posted: 22 August 2007 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

ooooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyy….....

Aug. 20-27, 2007 issue - In one of history’s more absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission. According to a statement issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs, the law, which goes into effect next month and strictly stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate, is “an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation.” But beyond the irony lies China’s true motive: to cut off the influence of the Dalai Lama, Tibet’s exiled spiritual and political leader, and to quell the region’s Buddhist religious establishment more than 50 years after China invaded the small Himalayan country. By barring any Buddhist monk living outside China from seeking reincarnation, the law effectively gives Chinese authorities the power to choose the next Dalai Lama, whose soul, by tradition, is reborn as a new human to continue the work of relieving suffering.

At 72, the Dalai Lama, who has lived in India since 1959, is beginning to plan his succession, saying that he refuses to be reborn in Tibet so long as it’s under Chinese control. Assuming he’s able to master the feat of controlling his rebirth, as Dalai Lamas supposedly have for the last 600 years, the situation is shaping up in which there could be two Dalai Lamas: one picked by the Chinese government, the other by Buddhist monks. “It will be a very hot issue,” says Paul Harrison, a Buddhism scholar at Stanford. “The Dalai Lama has been the prime symbol of unity and national identity in Tibet, and so it’s quite likely the battle for his incarnation will be a lot more important than the others.”

So where in the world will the next Dalai Lama be born? Harrison and other Buddhism scholars agree that it will likely be from within the 130,000 Tibetan exiles spread throughout India, Europe and North America. With an estimated 8,000 Tibetans living in the United States, could the next Dalai Lama be American-born? “You’ll have to ask him,” says Harrison. If so, he’ll likely be welcomed into a culture that has increasingly embraced reincarnation over the years. According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 20 percent of all U.S. adults believe in reincarnation. Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace it as their favored end-of-life view. A non-Tibetan Dalai Lama, experts say, is probably out of the question.

via boingboing

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 22 August 2007 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

And how exactly do they plan to catch you reincarnating?

It’s not like the baby is born and goes “Aw I’m all sticky now. Someone draw me a bath, get me a fag and call my wife to tell her I’m Black now.”

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 August 2007 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
Renquist - 23 August 2007 12:30 AM

As stated in the article, you catch them because a new Dalai Lama, by definition, is reincarnated.  That’s the only reincarnation the Chinese government is really concerned with.

But if someone is stupid enough to admit that they are a reincarnated entity (other than the Dalai Lama) I’m sure they won’t hesitate to arrest and punish them.

I guess an interesting question not answered in the article would be what is the punishment.  Death?  An death, and death, and death, and death, and…

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 22 August 2007 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Tah - 23 August 2007 12:45 AM

As stated in the article, you catch them because a new Dalai Lama, by definition, is reincarnated.  That’s the only reincarnation the Chinese government is really concerned with.

But if someone is stupid enough to admit that they are a reincarnated entity (other than the Dalai Lama) I’m sure they won’t hesitate to arrest and punish them.

I guess an interesting question not answered in the article would be what is the punishment.  Death?  An death, and death, and death, and death, and…

They might induce a coma and try to keep you that way for as long as physically possible (like in Dogma).

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Renquist - 23 August 2007 12:58 AM
Tah - 23 August 2007 12:45 AM

They might induce a coma and try to keep you that way for as long as physically possible (like in Dogma).

Good points!!!  Absolutely.

The last sentence though speaks volumes:

A non-Tibetan Dalai Lama, experts say, is probably out of the question.

Now, how do they think they’ll control that?  Oh, let me guess,

declare war on the country of the non-Tibetan Dalai Lama;
declare that the on-Tibetan Dalai Lama is a fake? 

There are more Buddhists around the globe than just in Tibet and I don’t believe that the Tibetan government declaring their own appointee will change anything in the eyes of those outside of Tibet.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Yes, because everyone will recognize that China has the final say over who can reincarnate where…  I’m sure that if Italy passed a law that the next Pope born outside the country wasn’t valid. I’m sure it would carry weight. China can enforce public expression of thought within their country, but private thought cannot be limited.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 23 August 2007 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

This line explains it: “By barring any Buddhist monk living outside China from seeking reincarnation, the law effectively gives Chinese authorities the power to choose the next Dalai Lama, whose soul, by tradition, is reborn as a new human to continue the work of relieving suffering.”

They aren’t so much stopping people from reincarnating, but stopping people from seeking it (i.e. practicing their religion).  And, they can now use it as a political tool to essentially “choose” the next Dalai Lama.  They see all forms of that type of worship as undermining their authority.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 23 August 2007 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
Razela - 23 August 2007 02:25 PM

This line explains it: “By barring any Buddhist monk living outside China from seeking reincarnation, the law effectively gives Chinese authorities the power to choose the next Dalai Lama, whose soul, by tradition, is reborn as a new human to continue the work of relieving suffering.”

They aren’t so much stopping people from reincarnating, but stopping people from seeking it (i.e. practicing their religion).  And, they can now use it as a political tool to essentially “choose” the next Dalai Lama.  They see all forms of that type of worship as undermining their authority.

Oh, I understand that completely, but who says they have any authority over the matter? If people don’t recognize their authority, then their silly declaration is useless. People might smile in public and pretend to accept it because otherwise the government will run a tank over them, but that’s much different from truly accepting it.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 23 August 2007 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Transfrmr - 23 August 2007 03:55 PM

Oh, I understand that completely, but who says they have any authority over the matter? If people don’t recognize their authority, then their silly declaration is useless. People might smile in public and pretend to accept it because otherwise the government will run a tank over them, but that’s much different from truly accepting it.

99% of what the Chinese Government says runs along those lines. Always will in a totalitarian system, but it lets THEM feel like they’re in charge.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 24 August 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
Transfrmr - 23 August 2007 03:55 PM

“Respect mah ahthouritah!”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 August 2007 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Robin Bobcat - 24 August 2007 08:31 PM

“Respect mah ahthouritah!”

Take it easy, fat ass!  (Sorry, Robin—nothing personal—just a reflex.)

In the spirit of non-discrimination, I move that they ban transubstantiation next.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 25 August 2007 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Now it

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}