{paginate}
3 of 4
{/paginate}
Pink or Blue - who decides colors for girls and boys, culture or nature?
Posted: 22 August 2007 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
nameless - 22 August 2007 12:34 PM
hulitoons - 22 August 2007 11:35 AM

I think guys in some pastels look really sexy, including shades of lavender.  Pink I do have a problem with only because it’s a cultural ‘thing’ I suppose. 

I can tell you there are probably a LOT of guys who walk around wearing pink briefs though, not because they purchased them that way, but because they did their own laundry.

*Puts on pink clothes*

*gets out his pastel black outfit*

This should keep people guessing. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Oh, and back on topic (hehe). I don’t see anything about this study that ties the pink or blue preference in as biological. Gender-oriented, yes, but not biological. Since girls are typically surrounded by Pink from when they are babies, and boys are surrounded with blue, I would be far more likely to say that the studyshows that we become most comfortable with colors that we are surrounded by at a young age. This makes perfect sense to me too since sounds, scents and even tastes from childhood can be very comforting and we tend to like them into adulthood.

I have an issue with them saying it’s biological when there is clearly no evidence to support this.

Maybe if they put male and female cells in pink or blue petri dishes and saw which ones did better?

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

I remember reading a while back (damned if I can remember where, though), but about 100 years ago, parents would put the boys in pink and girls in blue.  I believe the pink was more of a salmon colour rather than the baby pastel colour we know these days.  And I think it was something to do with the fact that pink being a light version of red, it was viewed as a masculine, warm colour, while blue was a cool, feminine colour.  I can’t remember if I read why the colours had been swapped over, or when. 

I guess I should do some research before I have to ban myself. wink

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

I bet most girls hate to go into a public toilet, and to see pink everywhere.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-29

Ah, so you don’t have to worry about my mad ramble above, here’s a link to someone else’s ramble on the subject! smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Fixed yer link.
wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-29

Thanks. red face

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I think this statement confessess the suggestion of biology.  Human curiousity will take the research forward I’m sure

That suggests a biological, rather than cultural, explanation for the phenomenon, she notes, although unanswered by the study is the question of whether these tendencies are acquired or innate.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Want to add this as well: 

While males prefer NOT to wear red, they are also attracted to ‘red’ on female lips (that does not mean they will kiss lipsticked lips, only that the color draws men to ‘look’)

Fuzzy, pink sweaters on females draws the same sort of reaction.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02
hulitoons - 22 August 2007 02:15 PM

Fuzzy, pink sweaters on females draws the same sort of reaction.

I’m not sure I buy the fact that the sweaters are pink that causes them to look. It’s probably more what the sweaters reveal if you kwim. wink

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 22 August 2007 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

I know in the wide area around my city, there are big differences in the colours of signs (on the door or in the front lawn) to announce a birth. I met people who thought pink was to announce a boy, blue for a girl. Others say it’s blue for boys and pink for girls. And I’ve even known of someone who preferred pink for both genders.
In shops these days, it’s mostly blue for boys and pink for girls. Probably because the connotation with stereotypical homosexual behavior.
So I believe the distinction between colours is mostly cultural. The question remains of who or what started it.

And about seeing colours, the receptor that allows us to see red is actually an evolution(*) in some primates, after mammals lost the ability long ago.
I think it might have also been used to better see blood flowing under bare skin (i.e. not covered in fur)

___
(*) trichromatic color vision, see wiki for more about color vision:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_v
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichromatic_color_vision

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

{paginate}
3 of 4
{/paginate}