1 of 4
Pink or Blue - who decides colors for girls and boys, culture or nature?
Posted: 21 August 2007 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

By Benjamin Lester
ScienceNOW Daily News
20 August 2007

Walk into the little girls’ aisle at a toy store, and you’ll be inundated with pink. We take for granted gender differences in color preference, but for more than 100 years, studies have failed to find a biological basis for the disparity. New research confirms that girls go for red whereas guys do not and links the mechanism to the biology of vision. Our color likes and dislikes may be a remnant of the different roles that men and women played in our distant hunter-gatherer past.

Studies from as long ago as 1897 have hinted at differences in color preference between genders, suggesting that more females preferred reds than did males. But the data were murky and inconsistent, according to experts.

Hoping to clear the air, neuroscientists Anya Hurlbert and Yazhu Ling of Newcastle University in the U.K. performed an experiment on 171 British Caucasians and 38 recent immigrants from China aged 20 to 26. Each subject chose his or her favorite from a series of color pairs on a computer screen. Humans judge color on two scales—one red-green and one blue-yellow. Hurlbert and Ling assigned each color values on these same two scales and compared each gender’s preferences.

In the 21 August issue of Current Biology, the researchers report that, on the yellow-blue scale, males and females both went for blue—U.K. females much more strongly than their male counterparts. On the red-green scale, however, females preferred red, whereas males opted for green—a difference that held true for Caucasian and Chinese subjects, although in Chinese females the trend was much more pronounced.

The finding is powerful, says Hurlbert, because it reveals a cross-cultural trend in color preferences. That suggests a biological, rather than cultural, explanation for the phenomenon, she notes, although unanswered by the study is the question of whether these tendencies are acquired or innate. “We think that this is the first hard proof of sex difference in color preference,” Hurlbert says. She and Ling speculate that the difference reflects females’ gatherer pasts and their need to pick edible red fruits out of a green background of foliage, or possibly that sensitivity to red enables females to better read blush-inducing emotions in their roles as “caregivers and empathizers.”

It’s a “very well executed study,” says Kenneth Zucker, a psychologist at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, Canada, who has published on gender differences in color preference. However, he would like to see more work to confirm the trend’s appearance across cultures, noting that, although the Chinese subjects had been in Britain for a maximum of 3 years, they may have picked up British cultural ideas on color.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

I’ve actually seen a lot of boys wearing pink now tongue laugh ... And I mean a lot.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I’ve seen a lot of guys wearing pink polo shirts. I think I’d rather die a slow painful death LOL

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

Blue is my favourite colour but I’ve never been one to conform to the norm smile

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-23

What is with guys and pink shirts though? You walk into any menswear store and there’s more shades of pink and purple than could be found at my nieces 5th birthday party. It’s not a great colour on chicks, why would it be any better on men?

Signature 

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

Guys wearing pink are the sort of metrosexual (read- gay) guys who, you know, spend half an hour getting ever spike of their hair gelled properly, and drink Bacardi Breezers and wear trilbies made of denim and listen to music that just goes DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-23

My brother is gay and I don’t think he even owns a pink shirt. But I do know the type you mean.

Signature 

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

I actually know gay guys who would rather die than wear a pink shirt.

And I know a lot of not gay guys who have them. Go figure.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I grew up in a place where men wearing pink polo shirts was the norm, so I guess it doesn’t seem odd to me at all. Of course, this was a tropical climate (Florida) and it was the 80s, so that whole Miami Vice “art deco pastel” thing was going on down there.

Pink is just one of those colours you have to be careful with. If you have an olive-y or dark complexion, you can get away with it. However, if you are fair skinned and, when exposed to too much sun, tend to turn pink yourself….not a good idea smile Of course, there are varied shades of pink, so if you are hell bent on wearing it, it shouldn’t be too much trouble to find a shade that works for you.

I do like purple/lavendar shades on men though. smile

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

If I were to wear pink 5 years ago I’d be beaten to with an inch of my life.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-23

LOL at the Google ad. Golf Kickers, who’d have thought!

Signature 

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-23

*cough*
Ahem, sorry, I’ll stop taking this so off topic now.
Bad Moderator, bad!

I do know a lot of people who refuse to let their little boys wear pink, if they don’t like blue, they’ll substitute green or yellow. I guess kids just grow up with that impressed upon them so I’d say it’s definitely a culture thing, up until the person develops their own appreciation for a particular colour.

Signature 

1 of 4