Will Swap - Missile Launcher for Shoes
Posted: 20 August 2007 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Police in America were hoping for a good turnout at their ‘Kicks for Guns’ program, in which people were encouraged to exchange weapons for sneakers. What they weren’t expecting was for someone to hand in a surface-to-air missile launcher.

An man exchanged the 4-foot-long launcher for some Reebok sneakers for his daughter, the Orlando Sentinel reported on Friday.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=62258&in_page_id=2

At least he doesn’t have the launcher any more… rolleyes

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 20 August 2007 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Well, it’s sort of useless without a missile for it, and they can’t be that easy to come accross.

Tom - “Hey Jim, I just found this missile launcher in a shed!”

Jim - “Nice find Tom, do you think it’ll fit that missile we found in the pool last week?”

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 21 August 2007 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I would love to do that just to see the looks on their faces LOL

“Is that…uh…”

“T6400 air-to-surface missile launcher. Can I get two pairs of shoes for that?”

“But…”

“Yeah well, I don’t use it anymore and she is my little princess and she needs some new shoes so I thought what the hell. Family comes first, eh?”

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 21 August 2007 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Okay, yeh, but why did the guys at the dump tell him to get lost?  If the thing was basically useless?  Actually, thinking about all this though, while I probably would have been impressed with the offered machinery, to tell the truth I’d not have had ANY idea what it was supposed to be !!!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 August 2007 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

That would be a great conversation piece to have hanging in the back window of the pickup.

“Hey Jethro. whats that there thing hanging in the window?”
“well Jimbob, it’s an M-72 handheld rocket launcher.  You should see the mess it made of the hog pen over to Ebeneezers place.”

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 21 August 2007 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-07

Hey! This gets a little bit of Hoax status!

I found this site which had a picture of the tube. Slightly different from the picture in the first article isn’t it?

The lettering got me curious so I googled “1A-3 missile launcher”

Seems that it is NOT a surface-to-air missile launcher (it really doesn’t surprise me that the police aren’t up on their missile categorisations), but rather an anti-tank missile tube. It is likely also a training round, and useless without guidance equipment even if there was a missile in it (which there wasn’t, or she wouldn’t be holding it up that easily).

This guy had the same idea, and found the same thing I did.

So, yes, a missile-tube, no, not surface-to-air…

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 22 August 2007 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Apparently it’s a case for an anti-tank weapon.

A suspected missile launcher handed in to police in Florida as part of a sneakers-for-guns program turned out to be a carrying case for an anti-tank weapon, the Orlando Sentinel has reported.

Stunned officers in Orlando, Florida were handed a long olive-green tube they thought was a surface-to-air missile launcher on Friday.

As part of the ‘Kicks for Guns’ program aimed to reduce gun violence, they traded it in for a pair of Reebok sneakers, the daily said.

But military defence contractors later determined the object was a carrying case for an anti-tank weapon known as a “tube-launched, optically-tracked, wire-guided” missile (TOW).

“They’re pretty available on the Internet,” Raytheon investigator John McGrath said.

“We run into a lot of this, actually.”

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 22 August 2007 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Transfrmr, I pulled the image off that site.  Yep, holding it up with fingertips indicates it’s really just a lightweight tube mostly.  BUT, it’d be great to use in a sculpture!  I’d like to have it….

Image Attachments
missile_launcher.jpg
 Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-07
hulitoons - 22 August 2007 11:43 AM

Transfrmr, I pulled the image off that site.  Yep, holding it up with fingertips indicates it’s really just a lightweight tube mostly.  BUT, it’d be great to use in a sculpture!  I’d like to have it….

Smerk’s post looks oddly familiar, she’s paying me back for stealing her credit on Boo’s post I’ll bet grin

Huli, according to Smerk’s article, they can be found for purchase on the internet. Might be worth looking into if they’re not too expensive smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yup.  BGM-71 missile case.  Not much use without the launcher, battery pack, sight, and a few other things, not to mention the actual missile.

Of more interest to certain parties on this Forum might be the M-47 Dragon. . .  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”