More Odd Baby-Naming
Posted: 16 August 2007 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

A Chinese couple seeking a distinctive and modern name for their child chose the commonly used typographic symbol ‘@’ (or ‘at’) - much to the consternation of Chinese officials.
The unidentified couple and the attempted naming were cited Thursday by a Chinese government official as an example of bizarre names creeping into the Chinese language.

The father ‘said “the whole world uses it to write e-mails and translated into Chinese it means ‘love him,’”’ Li Yuming, the vice director of the State Language Commission, said at a news conference.

The symbol ‘@’ sounds like the Chinese phrase ‘love him.’

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=61907&in_page_id=2

I suppose that people in China are trying to find more originality in their names, but this might be getting a little silly.
*shrugs*

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 August 2007 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Well, the meaning in Chinese makes it quite poetic. It does seem they put some thought into it.

It may, however, open the door for names like “1337”, “H@><()r” or “R0f1” though…

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 16 August 2007 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I’m sure this story was around at least a year ago.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 17 August 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28
Renquist - 17 August 2007 01:15 AM

I’m sure this story was around at least a year ago.

It may have been, but I’ve seen it in the main headlines recently.

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”