{/paginate}
CIA behind Wikipedia entries
Posted: 16 August 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Accipiter - 16 August 2007 07:04 PM

It’s when they simply go through and delete stuff that they find embarrassing that you have to keep a really close eye on them.

That, or when they insert false information as part of a propaganda war.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 16 August 2007 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
3DMax - 16 August 2007 09:50 PM
LaMa - 16 August 2007 04:25 PM

And just to show I am not talking nonsense, here’s a recent one…:

I can’t believe they use Internet Explorer!

rolleyes

Don’t start the browser flaming on your first post, please. Use what you like, others will do the same. All browsers have their ups and downs, none is perfect.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 16 August 2007 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

My Dad’s friend applied to MI5 as a joke and got a phone call the next day asking him for an interview for quite a good post. The pay was much, much less than his engineer’s pay so he knocked it back.

I personally looked at the MI6 recruitment site, and it shouldn’t be much trouble getting a job with a law degree. Something about people trained as a lawyer that makes them perfect for subterfuge, backstabbing, deciet and lying.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 16 August 2007 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Renquist - 16 August 2007 11:42 PM

.......................... Something about people trained as a lawyer that makes them perfect for subterfuge, backstabbing, deciet and lying.

Yeh, I’d say those are suitable qualifications SmileyCentral.com

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 17 August 2007 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14
LaMa - 16 August 2007 04:19 PM

I can confidently state that I am under surveillance, due to my interest in military space operations. I regularly have DoD IP’s amongst my website visitors.

They probably realized how much they didnt’ know and figured they could learn something new on your site.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 24 August 2007 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

Heh, it’s not just the CIA, either.  Apparently the Aussie politicians are at it, too.

FEDERAL Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd has described as “odd” news reports that Prime Minister John Howard’s departmental staff have been caught editing Wikipedia to remove details that might be damaging to the government.

“I notice the prime minister is engaging public servants to change Wikipedia,” Mr Rudd told the Seven Network today.

“My own personal staff, I’m sure look through Wikipedia to make factual changes, no excuses about that, but using public service departments to make sure the truth is delivered according to Howard?”

Fairfax reports today that staff in the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet have made 126 edits to Wikipedia, on subjects ranging from the children overboard affair to Treasurer Peter Costello.

“On Wikipedia anything can appear,” Mr Rudd said.

“It is entirely legitimate for your personal political staff to make changes of a factual nature, but to engage public servants to go out there and re-edit history, it strikes me as odd to say the least.”

A new website - Wikiscanner - which traces the digital fingerprints of people who make changes to entries in the online encyclopedia, identifies the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet as the source of the edits.

Wikiscanner also identifies Department of Defence employees as the most prolific Wikipedia contributors in Australia.

Wikipedia is promoted as the “free encyclopedia that anyone can edit”.

The Department of Defence said yesterday it would ban defence staff from accessing the encyclopedia.

Defence computers were found to have made more than 5,000 edits to Wikipedia entries, including articles on the “9/11 truth movement”, the Australian Defence Force Academy and the Vietnam War-era Pentagon Papers.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 30 August 2007 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

And apparently Dutch Royals, too!

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - A Dutch royal couple acknowledges altering a Wikipedia entry about a 2003 scandal that forced the prince to renounce his claim to the throne.

Prince Johan Friso, son of the reigning Queen Beatrix, and Princess Mabel of Oranje-Nassau are the latest to be embarrassed in a spate of discoveries of vanity changes to Wikipedia entries. Such self-serving amendments are frowned upon in the Web encyclopedia that “anyone can edit.”

The original scandal broke in 2003 when Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende refused to support the prince’s marriage to the princess, then known as Mabel Wisse Smit.

The prime minister said he objected because she had given him “incomplete and incorrect information” about a romantic liaison she once had with a druglord. Wisse Smit later conceded knowing the drug dealer but denied any sexual relationship.

With government approval of the marriage withheld, the prince had to choose between Wisse Smit and his place as second in line to the throne. They married in 2004.

On Jan. 8, 2006, someone using a computer at Huis ten Bosch, the royal palace in The Hague, altered the Wikipedia entry on Wisse Smit that had said she “gave misleading and false information” to Balkenende. The new entry removed the words “and false.”

Wikipedia shows the time and IP address

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 30 August 2007 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14

Maybe I should start an entry about myself and see who edits it??  hmmmmm

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 31 August 2007 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The prime minister said he objected because she had given him “incomplete and incorrect information” about a romantic liaison she once had with a druglord. Wisse Smit later conceded knowing the drug dealer but denied any sexual relationship.

. . . . .

On Jan. 8, 2006, someone using a computer at Huis ten Bosch, the royal palace in The Hague, altered the Wikipedia entry on Wisse Smit that had said she “gave misleading and false information” to Balkenende. The new entry removed the words “and false.”

So, did they actually lie, and then try to hide the evidence of their lie on Wikipedia?  Or was the Wikipedia article wrong, and it was fixed by them?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 31 August 2007 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
FrostBird - 16 August 2007 03:02 PM

It’d be interesting to see this for this forum. How many of us are with the CIA or the NSA or Interpol or MI5 or ... (got to cut short, there are some men in black at the door)

You are trolling, ain

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

{paginate}
3 of 3
{/paginate}