Evolution of beauty
Posted: 02 July 2007 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Stargazer - 03 July 2007 12:55 AM
Renquist - 03 July 2007 12:38 AM

Unless they specifically claim that their product, and their product alone, is responsible for the girl looking like that, there’s no false advertising.

Yes…that’s what I said.  Was I unclear?  Sometimes I have a problem with that. I apologize if I made it look like I was saying something else, but yes, that’s what I was saying.

No no, I was backing you up. tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 03 July 2007 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28
Stargazer - 03 July 2007 12:08 AM
Dily - 29 June 2007 10:09 PM

Hopefully, one day, all these stupid “makeover” and “plastic surgery shows” will fade off the air where they can’t bother me anymore.

You may not realize this, but you have the power to do this yourself. It’s called the “Channel Up” and “Channel Down” buttons. In extreme situations, the “Power” button will also suffice.

Yes, I know. I find myself using them a lot these days.

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 26 July 2007 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

From BBC News:

Watchdog raps Cruz mascara advert

A L’Oreal commercial featuring Penelope Cruz broke industry rules because the actress was wearing false eyelashes, the advertising watchdog has decreed. The advert for the firm’s ‘Telescopic’ mascara claimed the product could make eyelashes “up to 60 per cent longer”. According to the Advertising Standards Authority, however, the advert misled because it did not make clear Cruz was wearing some individual false lashes.

[...]

The authority ruled that “in the absence of a disclaimer stating that Penelope Cruz was wearing some individual false lashes added to her natural lashes… the ads could mislead”.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6915296.stm

Posted: 26 July 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Hrm, I wonder if that’s the ad I just saw. I don’t remember noticing if it was Cruz. I just remember turning to my husband and saying “those are fake eyelashes, that shouldn’t be allowed”

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 July 2007 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
MadCarlotta - 26 July 2007 05:01 PM

Hrm, I wonder if that’s the ad I just saw. I don’t remember noticing if it was Cruz. I just remember turning to my husband and saying “those are fake eyelashes, that shouldn’t be allowed”

Women can spot that.

I see it and all I say is “Huh. A chick’s eye.”

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 26 July 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
MadCarlotta - 26 July 2007 05:01 PM

There are SO many advertisements where I say: “Those are fake boobs, that shouldn’t be allowed”

raspberry

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 26 July 2007 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Oh, I say that all the time too LOL

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 July 2007 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

[oldtimer]
In the old days women only used to fake their orgasm: now with the rise of plastic surgery, everything about many a woman has become fake…
[/oldtimer]

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 26 July 2007 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

I personally don’t find the doll look that attractive anyways. I prefer women who wear less makeup, and who don’t feel they always have to wear makeup to leave the house. I think it’s sad that the models themselves think it is ok to have all this done to them, then again, I suppose if they said no, someone else would just jump into their place. Fashion models are the worst, how are these people supposed to portray fashions for normal people to wear? They are freaky-looking stick women who look like they haven’t eaten in a few months. I’m sure there are some somewhere, but I’d love to see a fashion show where they show off clothes for all body types. Instead of a designed putting out a line of clothes all for the ultra-skinny, let’s have a show where they have different clothes for different bodies that all fit into the same collection.

I honestly don’t even know why they bother with real models at all any more for most magazines and ads. Probably just to have a “real-life” person they can send to hobnob with the public, but it seems to me it would be much cheaper to just buy the rights to any old picture and turn it into what they want.

This is another good video showing exagerated image manipulation. WARNING, NOT REALLY WORK SAFE (the site is fine, but the picture they are editing shows a large amount of the woman’s posterior). http://www.metacafe.com/watch/734962/adobe_photoshop_from_fat_woman_to_thin_woman/

I tend to avoid the Gucci/Chanel/Prada perfect makeup, wanna be a doll crowd. Maybe it’s just me…

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

2 of 2

‹‹ Peeps For Passover      World tallest man ››