1 of 2
“You can die of a broken heart!” say doctors.
Posted: 28 June 2007 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

[quote author=“Scientific American”]Doctors report evidence of “anniversary reaction”

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?alias=doctors-report-evidence-o

[size=1][Edit: Please note, “

Posted: 28 June 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2343
Joined  2007-06-22

It’s very probable.
Hearing bad news such as the death of someone close to you causes a lot of stress and whatnot.

I’m sure if one had a bad heart to begin with, something like that could finish them off.

But that totally sucks.

Signature 

“Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: Holy Jesus, what are these goddamn animals?!”

Posted: 28 June 2007 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

Oh, I see what you’re doing, David.

/sigh

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Hmmm. Well, it seems logical that heart problems can be exacerbated by stress and, as the article says, a small part of your brain is keeping track of anniversaries of events.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06

Stress causes health problems? What are they going to tell us next? Puncture wounds cause bleeding problems?

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-22
Boo - 28 June 2007 04:03 PM

Hmmm. Well, it seems logical that heart problems can be exacerbated by stress and, as the article says, a small part of your brain is keeping track of anniversaries of events.

By that statement, I would imagine that this type of thing would happen more to women then men.
This may be a stereotype, bbuuuttttt…

Women do tend to remember anniversaries a lot more than men do.
At least in my experience, they do.
Therefore, with the common rememberances of these things, women would be more stressed, and this stress—added to poor heart conditions, other health issues, etc.—could cause this “Death by Broken Heart” thing.

Jeez, I sound smart for once! wink

Signature 

“Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: Holy Jesus, what are these goddamn animals?!”

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05
Stargazer - 28 June 2007 03:58 PM

Oh, I see what you’re doing, David.

/sigh

question  confused

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06

Don’t play the slippery eel with me!

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06
VANS_Shoe_Of_Choice - 28 June 2007 04:07 PM

By that statement, I would imagine that this type of thing would happen more to women then men.

Therefore, with the common rememberances of these things, women would be more stressed, and this stress—added to poor heart conditions, other health issues, etc.—could cause this “Death by Broken Heart” thing.

Plus, remember when those scientists proved women can’t handle the stress of a hard day of work like men can.

(Please no one stone me, it was some study and I’m sure there are tons of faults with it.)

edit: It was here: http://us.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/14/health.stress.reut/index.html but now it’s gone.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

Okay, be as gnomic as you like.

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-22
Stargazer - 28 June 2007 04:12 PM
VANS_Shoe_Of_Choice - 28 June 2007 04:07 PM

Plus, remember when those scientists proved women can’t handle the stress of a hard day of work like men can.

(Please no one stone me, it was some study and I’m sure there are tons of faults with it.)

edit: It was here: http://us.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/14/health.stress.reut/index.html but now it’s gone.

Ha ha, stonage not needed smile

I’ll admit, I get stressed over things that most men wouldn’t, simply because I belong to the female gender.
Women tend to take things slightly more personal then men, so when you have personal, job, and health-related stress, that tends to add up.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06
VANS_Shoe_Of_Choice - 28 June 2007 04:14 PM

Ha ha, stonage not needed smile

I’ll admit, I get stressed over things that most men wouldn’t, simply because I belong to the female gender.
Women tend to take things slightly more personal then men, so when you have personal, job, and health-related stress, that tends to add up.

Basically what it said was not all that surprising. Women can handle the same workload as men (as we all argue). However, when they do, they tend to exercise far less, smoke more, and eat worse foods. Men, on the other hand, tend to not change their exercise, eating, or smoking habits when work gets stressful and somtimes will do the opposite. (IE: Work out more to vent stress. Eat less to get more done. etc.)

edit: The report was from Leed’s University (in Britain), if that helps.

Signature 

1 of 2