12 of 12
{/paginate}
The Amazing Randi - A Question
Posted: 06 July 2007 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2007-02-23
Stargazer - 06 July 2007 08:11 PM

Actually, this is all a huge straw man anyway, because I never said she was a believer in my original post, now that I go back and read it. (I mentioned PEAR, but not the other stuff.)

But, yes

I’ll help you out…go back to post # 84.  That’s where you said it.  And what’s a straw man?

Posted: 06 July 2007 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Wicked - 06 July 2007 11:36 PM

And what’s a straw man?

I don’t know the context here, but a straw man argument is where you easily defeat a position that no one actually holds.  It can be a fallacy, like willfully misrepresenting your opponent’s argument to make it very easy to prove wrong, but it can also be useful in hypothesis testing (the “straw man” is actually the null hypothesis that you try to prove wrong in an effort to lend support to the actual hypothesis).

Edit:  my favorite website on logical fallacies

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 06 July 2007 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

and here I thought it was this guy

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 06 July 2007 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Accipiter - 06 July 2007 09:05 PM

Hey, what girl could resist a guy who plays with fire?

Apparently most of them!  :::sigh:::

Yeah, “juggler” isn’t high on the list of professions that get you dates based on your profession alone.  (Yes, there is so such a list!)

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 09 October 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

There are many events that we cannot announce or discuss until an appropriate time arrives, due to legal maneuvers and possible infractions of statutes. Somebody named Christopher Roller recently sued me and the JREF, claiming that certain conjuring tricks he

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

{paginate}
12 of 12
{/paginate}

‹‹ voting dog      Email hoax? ››