1 of 12
The Amazing Randi - A Question
Posted: 25 June 2007 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Sometime back, perhaps ten days ago, some noted psychic (psychotic?) poster here wrote that the Amazing Randi had been sued on his challenge to pay out a million bucks to anyone who could show they had psychic abilities.

He had to be sued, because (according to our poster), someone had demonstrated definite success, and Randi did not pay off, as promised.

Is this true?

Dan, shaken to the core of his belief system, or mildly amused by the claim, actually

Posted: 25 June 2007 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

With a bit of simple googling I found this.

http://x34.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=547193603.1&CONTEXT=943405196.532152451&hitnum=10

Christopher Roller has proof of paranormal activities: the magic tricks of David Copperfield. “David admits he’s using godly powers—that’s paranormal,” Roller writes in a lawsuit filed last month in U.S. District Court. “Paranormal events are occurring on planet Earth by David Copperfield and probably by most illusionists (magicians).”

Roller has presented his proof of supernatural activities to Randi, but has been frustrated in his attempts to obtain the $1 million prize. “I’ve tried to contact James Randi with this enlightenment via email, but he keeps ignoring me,” Roller notes in the lawsuit. “It figures, considering he’s a magician, probably with godly powers himself. He is a con man, blinding us about the paranormal when he knows it exists.”

Really, if the best proof of the supernatural you can come up with is David Copperfield, you’re obviously delusional! wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 June 2007 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I’m thinking Randi was sued for defamation of character or something by Uri Geller.  I don’t think it was over his challenge.  Randi wrote a book on Geller and called him a fake.  Geller got mad and sued.  Everybody had legal fees.  The lawyers all won.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 25 June 2007 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

http://66.221.71.68/psir.htm

This is an account of one set of lawsuits.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 June 2007 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
Dan Jr. - 25 June 2007 09:13 PM

He had to be sued, because (according to our poster), someone had demonstrated definite success, and Randi did not pay off, as promised.

If someone makes this claim, you can pretty much be sure they are wrong/mistaken/etc.

For one thing, Randi would love to find someone who actually had such ability. He’s not a professional debunker. He’s a professional skeptic.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 25 June 2007 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Also it’s a million dollar challenge! I.e. you’ve got to prove you’ve got the goods, not say ‘x’ is proof that you have them.

The set up is simple. What is being tested, how, and what constitutes success are agreed by Randi or his representatives and the testee beforehand, then the test is performed as agreed, and the results recorded. Given that those people who get as far as actually doing the test they helped design never meet the success criteria they decided on, it’s amazing how many times you hear that Randi is a fraud who stacks the deck against these poor miracle workers.

Perhaps he’s using mind control on ‘em… I wonder if that would qualify him to win his own million?

Posted: 26 June 2007 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-05

I sure find it hard to believe someone could actually expect, in any court of law (hmmm, wait, there was OJ, and Robert Blake, and soon, the acquittal of Phil Specter [remember, you heard it from Dan the Dandy Psychic first!].....maybe I should re-think this).

Oh wait, OJ was a criminal trial, Randi’s would be a civil suit.  So, someone is going to actually prove in court that David Copperfield has command of god-like supernatural forces?  How?  Make the jury disappear?  Turn the Judge into a white Siberian tiger?  Pull a deposition out of his hat?  I know!  Turn the water in the pitchers into Chardonnay!  I hope it is a good vintage!

This could be a way cool trial, I hope it is televised.  The broadcast rights alone will be worth several million!

Dan, scheming and planning, this could be my big break

Posted: 26 June 2007 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Remember in a civil case, you have to be 51% certain the evidence proved the case.  In a criminal case, you have to be certain beyone a resonable doubt.  Hence OJ owes money, but got off on murder.  I still haven’t figured out why.  On robert Blake either..  Uhhh duhh.  who would have more reason do kill these women but their husbands?  Numbers show that most murders are by those close to you

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 26 June 2007 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-05

Actually, I think OJ had Robert Blake kill his ex-wife, then to return the favor, OJ killed Robert Blake’s wife.

Dan the Detective

Posted: 26 June 2007 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-05-19

Some good detective work. Makes sense to me.

Signature 

Poems That Make You Laugh
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ErnestSlyman

Posted: 26 June 2007 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

To date, no one has gotten past the preliminary test stage to take the actual $1 Million Challenge.  The terms of the Challenge clearly state that video or other “evidence” doesn’t count—it has to be a real demonstration of the claimed skill according to a mutually agreed upon protocol that leaves no room for interpretation or doubt of the outcome.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 26 June 2007 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-05

Randi’s Mom (Mommi?) did not raise a fool!

Dan, who, some say, his Mom did

1 of 12

‹‹ voting dog      Email hoax? ››