3 of 4
{/paginate}
Girl’s feet severed on amusement park ride
Posted: 22 June 2007 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Six Flags is already not doing well.  They’ve already closed the one in California.  A big lawsuit here could really hurt them.  Of course there are other people to sue as well.  They could sue the company that is contracted to keep up repairs, or also the makers of the original ride.  There may be another company with more money that is also liable.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 22 June 2007 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Actually, the settlement wouldn’t kill them.  That should be taken care of by the insurance.

Unfortunately, the insurance premiums are going to skyrocket.  Whether that’s from the same company or a new one when that company doesn’t renew their coverage.

Not having insurance or not being able to afford it is what will kill them.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 June 2007 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

At least she isn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 June 2007 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I don’t understand why they took her to University Hospital.  There is a hospital in the area (Jewish Hospital) closer to the park than the one they sent her to that has the finest doctors in the country as far as microsurgery goes.  They reattach limbs all the time and people are flown to that particular hospital from all over the country.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 23 June 2007 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Maybe the other hospital was busy at the time.  Or she or her family could have insisted on that particular hospital.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 June 2007 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 23 June 2007 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Just pulling your leg.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 June 2007 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

The local theme-parks here are being wise, they have all shut down similar rides and checking the inner workings.

Several years ago, at one of the Lake Tahoe ski resorts, at the end of the day, Ski Patrol found a pulley-wheel laying in the snow at the foot of one of the lift-posts.

They of course reported it to the managment.

The very next day, the lift jammed, causing one chair to bump into another one; two brothers fell 30 feet or so to the snow, but one landed on top of the other one, killing him.

The resort was sued out of business and was bought-out by a larger company.

This is one of the few incidents where I actually agreed with the tort-liability concept: the management company operating the faulty lift should have shut the thing down and inspected every single fitting on the entire lift before re-openeing it, and also reviewed their maintenance procedures.

That is only prudent management, you know?

Very similar to the nightmare crash of the Alaskan Airlines flight from LA to San Francisco about ten years ago, where a lazy maintenance mechanic failed to lubricate the jack-screw assembly of the rudder controls, because it was a messy job.  The assembly froze in place, causing the plane to perform wild in-flight maneuvers, including flying upside-down for a time, before the plane ultimately nose-dived into the sea.  The gyrations lasted about 45 minutes as the pilots desperately tried to control the plane.

What a wild horrible flight for everyone on board!

Anyway, Alaskan Airlines wisely shut down every plane, and checked every bit of maintenance on every one of them, before putting them back into the air.  Prudent!

I bet 6 Flags, if indeed they are in financial difficulty, had cut back on the maintenance.  If so, the upper level management will also be charged with manslughter, and go to prison, as well they should, if indeed that was the case.

Dan, who also understands that hindsight is 20 - 20

Posted: 25 June 2007 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
N E O - 22 June 2007 11:10 PM

So Stargazer do you admit that you are defeeted?

Absolutely. Plus, MC is right. This discussion is so pedestrian.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 25 June 2007 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
JoeDaJuggler - 22 June 2007 11:50 PM

Seriously Stargazer, how would you feel if the shoe were on the other foot?

In some of these cases the defendant will claim that the victim was partly liable for the injury.  In this case, I think Six Flags has sole responsibility.

I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here.

All joking aside, this is a horrible accident for this girl and, yes, I feel deeply for her. Don’t take the leg jokes to be an indication of my (lack of) sympathy for this girl. I couldn’t imagine going through that. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 25 June 2007 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I don’t see you walking away though.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

{paginate}
3 of 4
{/paginate}