Isaac Newton Calculated Date of Apocalypse: 2060
Posted: 22 June 2007 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Three-century-old manuscripts by Isaac Newton calculating the exact date of the apocalypse, detailing the precise dimensions of the ancient temple in Jerusalem and interpreting passages of the Bible

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Doesn’t surprise me that he made apocalyptic predictions from an apocryphal gospel. I mean, he was a pretty intense alchemist. Back when ‘science’ and ‘magic’ were very, very close things tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 22 June 2007 12:35 PM

Doesn’t surprise me that he made apocalyptic predictions from an apocryphal gospel.

Well, only a few chapters of the book of Daniel would have been apocryphal to the Church of England at the time, but I still get your meaning. . .  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Well at least he was a scientist, so his 2060 carries weight…
*thinks he is safe anyway being born in 1959*

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 June 2007 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

So, Dearest Sir Isaac said, among other things:

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Dan Jr. - 22 June 2007 04:00 PM

But, I sure disagree with the post preceding this, stating, ‘....he was a scientist, so his predictions carry weight…..’

That just doesn’t hold water, to me.  As soon as he leaves the field where his particular gifts excel, he isn’t any more a qualified observer or commentator than the clerk at the bread store down the street, perhaps less.

I do believe that was a joke.

Dan Jr. - 22 June 2007 04:00 PM

And I would like to know a single prediction from the Bible or Nostradamus, or the clerk at the bread store down the street, for that matter, that ever came true.  I mean, something solid, like, ‘In the year 1512, an earthquake will strike in Iceland, killing a herd of reindeer in a landslide,’ or ‘In 2007, a beautiful blonde socialite named after Paris France will go to jail in tears.’

Stuff like, ‘Mankind will drink from his own cistern forever’ doesn’t count.

That’s a completely moot point as a prophecy can only be seen as accurate from a point of view. And I doubt very much that your point of view will allow any prophecy to be seen as accurate.

If you want prohpecies with specific details then the closest you’ll get is

“Bestes farouches de faim fleuues tranner;
Plus part du champ encontre Hister sera,
En cage de fer le grand fera treisner,
Quand rien enfant de Germain observera.”- Nostradamus

Roughly translated (by yours truly):

“Beasts ferocious from hunger will swim across rivers:
Most of the region will be against the Hister [name for the Danube],
The great one will drag in an iron cage,
When the German child will observe nothing.”

The third line doesn’t really make much sense in French and took me bloody ages to get it into English. Word-for-word it says ‘in a cage of iron the great one will do the dragging’.

However as a prediction of World War II it seems prettay accurate in hindsight. Some people translate ‘Hister’ as ‘Hitler’ but Hister is an old word for the Danube which flows through Austria close to where Hitler was born.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 23 June 2007 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

I do believe that was a joke.

wink

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 23 June 2007 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

I sure hope so, too.

Dan, always light-hearted because that is more fun