1 of 2
New TV Show is looking for real People in the Los Angeles area who have true-life, UNSOLVED PRANKS/MYSTERIES
Posted: 15 June 2007 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-06-14

(I do have permission from Alex to post this- please do not remove)

Hello,
I am looking for those everyday, small but baffling, unsolved pranks/mysteries in your life; think Seinfeld moments, moments where you’d feel ridiculous calling anyone for help.

No story is too small:
-Whose dog pooped in my apartment hallway?
-Did my teenager host a party while I was on vacation?
-Who took the car for a joyride and dented the fender?
- What

Posted: 15 June 2007 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Sorry, but I

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 June 2007 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

You post therefore you are.

Unless you’re a ‘bot, of course.

So never mind.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 15 June 2007 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Trust me, I

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 June 2007 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Okay, hi, this is a pretty good one, and it genuinely really did happen to my wife, myself, and my daughter, about 14 or so at the time, here in the house I still live in, in San Jose CA:

I promise this really did happen:

I was at the kitchen counter one evening, after dark, putting groceries away.  My daughter (helpful teen that she was) sat on the sofa in the living room, a few feet away from me.  My wife was bringing the rest of the groceries in from the car.

Once again, it was after dark.

I am facing my daughter, and can see my wife approaching on the walkway in front.

An orange-ish ball of fairly bright light, a bit bigger than a basketball, zooms from out the master bedroom door into the hallway, speeds down the hall at about belt-high, turns the corner into the living room (I am watching every bit of this), flies between my daughter and the book she was reading, startling her, then travels on out the open front door, raises its height, and pases over my wife’s shoulder, then away it went.  My wife nearly dropped the bag of groceries.

The entire event lasted perhaps 1.5 or 2.0 seconds.

No harm done to any of us, nothing amiss anywhere in our house, no sunburn or hair falling out or anything, we did not start talking in tongues or anything cosmic, no strange dreams that night, indeed, no evidence at all of the visit, except we all three remember it quite clearly.

This really happened, and the above accounting is honestly to the very best of my memory.  My wife and daughter, of course, remember it quite well, too, as events like this are pretty darned uncommon.  This happened in abouot 1995.

Dan the cosmic

Posted: 16 June 2007 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I don’t know if there’s any regulars from LA around here.  I use to live in southern california, but I wouldn’t of had a story for you anyways.  Good luck though.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 16 June 2007 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Razela - 16 June 2007 05:59 AM

I don’t know if there’s any regulars from LA around here.  I use to live in southern california, but I wouldn’t of had a story for you anyways.  Good luck though.

They start in the neighbourhood. Ofcourse they don

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 16 June 2007 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

That’s weird Dan.  I had one of those in my bedroom at night when I was a teen (no drugs, no alchohol).  The lights were out and it was about six inches wide and seemed to come from my window.  I closed my eyes and screamed and my Dad came down and I made up some lame excuse so as not to get myself taken away to the local mental hospital.  Never seen one since.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 June 2007 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

I have read of these things going down the aisles of in-flight airlines, and so on.

Some people say that what we saw is ‘ball lightning’ but it certainly does not behave like any lightning I have ever heard of, no thunder or anything, no noise at all, certainly not travelling at a great rate of speed, and not travelling vertically either.

The one I saw actually maneuvered around people and walls and such, seemingly quite purposefully.

I am glad I was not taking drugs at that moment, too; I would have probably begun a quest to duplicate the experience, and spent all my money in vain.

Dan, glad to know I am in good company, and thanks for believing me, Bebe; I will be the first to agree that the story sounds pretty contrived.

Posted: 18 June 2007 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 June 2007 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

I do think it was ball-lightning indeed Dan. Ball-lightning behaves as you describe, quite different from “normal” lightning. It is a very ill understood phenomena.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 June 2007 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yes, not a lot is known about ball lightning.  What with it being rare and usually showing up who knows where for only a few seconds, it’s a bit hard to study.  But it is famous for acting in really weird ways.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 2