3 of 6
The world
Posted: 07 June 2007 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Actually, I’d rather have you being a nutter than our usual ones… you’d be nicer about it!
wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 08 June 2007 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
Kathleen - 07 June 2007 10:28 PM

I think Acci covered my thoughts on the Iwo Jima one
Though I think the photo is still famous even if staged

It really, really, really wasn’t staged. Sorry to keep going on and on about it, but staged means “posed.” Staged means “faked.” It was neither. It’s real. It is exactly what it appears to be: five Marines and a Navy corpsman raising a flag over Iwo Jima and a photographer happened to catch the magical moment. As the photographer himself said over and over again—it just broke his heart when people called it “staged,” which is I guess why I do keep going on and on about it—if he’d staged it, he would have ruined it.

Kathleen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima

http://www.iwojima.com/raising/raisingc.htm

First flag was small and not photographed, a bigger one was placed for all troops to see. That was photographed.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 08 June 2007 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
Sharruma - 07 June 2007 10:19 PM

The migrant mother one is photoshopped, I believe the original can be found on this site
(It’s in the Hippo eats Dwarf book too I think)

I think Acci covered my thoughts on the Iwo Jima one
Though I think the photo is still famous even if staged

I’m sort of glad that guy commited suicide after leaving that starving child to fend for itself.
As for the photographer who left the girl to die in the water….

Some of these photo’s just don’t belong.

Again: they did not let the girl die. They simply couldn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 June 2007 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

There’s two pictures I thought of.  One is a National Geographic photograph of a female refugee.  She has scarves wrapped around her, but the most beautiful eyes I’ve every seen.  Anyone know the one I’m talking about?  Just recently I believe the photographer went back and found the woman from the photograph.

The other one was a picture taken at 9/11 that showed one of the towers before it came down and there were people in the air falling from hundreds of stories up.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 09 June 2007 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Razela - 09 June 2007 08:38 AM

There’s two pictures I thought of.  One is a National Geographic photograph of a female refugee.  She has scarves wrapped around her, but the most beautiful eyes I’ve every seen.  Anyone know the one I’m talking about?  Just recently I believe the photographer went back and found the woman from the photograph.

I know the one you’re talking about.  I don’t have that copy, but I do have the edition where they went back to track down the girl.  Apparently she’s doing well enough, has plenty of children, and is very surprised that anybody would be interested in her!

Aha!  I found an article from National Geographic about her.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 June 2007 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29
Razela - 09 June 2007 08:38 AM

Yup, Boo actually has a poster of this, and I liked it so much, I did take a photo of the poster when I was there…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 09 June 2007 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Other famous photos I can think of:

Pearl Harbor burning

Dewey Defeats Truman

The Challenger

Billy the Kid

Soviets leaving Afghanistan

Anne Frank

The fall of Saigon

Norgay and Hillary

Raquel Welch

And, of course, the infamous picture of our very own dear Smerk wearing her smallest thong!!!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 June 2007 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29
Accipiter - 09 June 2007 09:49 AM

And, of course, the infamous picture of our very own dear Smerk wearing her smallest thong!!!

red face

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 10 June 2007 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

By the way, that National Geographic book with the Afghani girl on it is a fantastic book for those of you who love photography.  I was enraptured by every picture.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 10 June 2007 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Ah yes, Steve McCurry.
He’s a fantastic photographer.
When I worked for the Art Centre, we had an exhibition of his photos, and they were astounding.
I love his use of colour.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 11 June 2007 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08
Madmouse - 08 June 2007 12:14 AM
Kathleen - 08 June 2007 12:02 AM

And if I do occasionally begin to verge on nutterosity, you have my promise that I will nonetheless (1) punctuate properly, (2) eschew writing in all caps, and (3) forswear telling anybody, even a real nutter, that he or she “sucks.”

Hurrah! In that case, welcome to the forum. wink grin

INGORE MOUSE SHE SUXS!!!!11!!1

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

3 of 6

‹‹ Art Cars      Powered by pinscher ››