Them thieving squirrels are at it again…
Posted: 06 June 2007 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28

Story: Thieving squirrels…

‘Critters’ Blamed For Missing U.S. Flags

NEENAH, Wis. (AP)—Caretakers of the Oak Hill Cemetery noticed around Memorial Day that about 25 U.S. flags were missing from the graves of military veterans. But the haphazard pattern of theft and the fact that the wooden dowels remained intact led them to only one theory in the week since - the thieves aren’t human.

“It’s a pretty solid conclusion that critters are stealing our flags,” said cemetery foreman Mark Alberts.

Apparently, it’s been a problem all around the state. Squirrels took flags in Oshkosh and used them to line their nests a few years ago, and a groundskeeper at Forest Hill Cemetery in Eau Claire discovered dozens of missing flags in a squirrel’s nest in 2006.

Alberts also said when crews cut down old trees in the cemetery, they typically find flag remnants in the hollows.

“We find a lot of flags all shredded up in there,” Alberts said Tuesday. “They use them for bedding.”

But Alberts hasn’t caught any capers yet, only witnessing blackbirds trying to fly away with pieces of the flags.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 06 June 2007 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Impregnate them with anti-squirrel stench. There must be something they hate.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 June 2007 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

When I die I’m going to have a monument that contains an ideal nesting site for hawks. See how the little bastards like it if they try and steal things from my grave and there’s a family of hungry falcons living above it.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 06 June 2007 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 06 June 2007 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

They best squirrel repellent I ever used was a shot gun.  They really don’t leave but they don’t come back either.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 07 June 2007 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Bebelicious - 06 June 2007 09:38 PM

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 07 June 2007 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

You could probably figure out a way to hang moth balls from a flag pole…but you most likely couldn’t spray a flag in fox piss.  It’s not a “statement” of any kind ...

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 June 2007 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

My neighbor (who moved now) used to make little peanut butter sandwiches for the squirrels around here. Then one day for some reason she became convinced that the sandwiches were giving the squirrels heartburn. I don’t know how she determined this, but it was important enough for her to come over and warn me that if I gave the squirrels peanut butter sandwiches, it would cause them discomfort and that I probably shouldn’t LOL

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 June 2007 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 07 June 2007 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

My dad

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 07 June 2007 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28
Maegan - 07 June 2007 12:39 PM

You could probably figure out a way to hang moth balls from a flag pole…but you most likely couldn’t spray a flag in fox piss.  It’s not a “statement” of any kind ...

Hunters have the option of purchasing fox urine as a cover scent.

How do you get a moth’s legs apart to see if they have any ballz?  tongue laugh

MadCarlotta - 07 June 2007 12:44 PM

My neighbor (who moved now) used to make little peanut butter sandwiches for the squirrels around here. Then one day for some reason she became convinced that the sandwiches were giving the squirrels heartburn. I don’t know how she determined this, but it was important enough for her to come over and warn me that if I gave the squirrels peanut butter sandwiches, it would cause them discomfort and that I probably shouldn’t LOL

Give the poor squirrels Tums Carlotta… or better still - Alka seltzer and watch them explode. Note: link is discussion of debunks to this “joke”

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 07 June 2007 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

- Voltaire