{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}
Is Organized Religion the Greatest Hoax Of Them All?
Posted: 28 May 2007 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Yes, I know we have had similar topics, but the concept remains intriguing.

I do believe that more people have been killed over the issue of religion (and the accompanying power over others) than for anything else.

There is a retired San Francisco radio talk-show host whose oft-repeated prayer was, “God, please save me from your followers.”

I think most of us believe in some sort of Higher Power.  But none of us can possibly know the nature of that Power, or Its purposes.  Anyone who says he does is quite delusional.

I think it is the ultimate fallacy to profess any real knowledge of the nature of that Power, to speak for It, or to push one’s perceptions of It onto others.

Dan, alone possessing all the anwers; if you do not think so, just ask me.

Posted: 28 May 2007 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 28 May 2007 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

The true answer to all this is in the film Dogma. Quoth the Apostle Rufus;

“His only real beef with mankind is the shit that gets carried out in His name. Wars. Bigotry. Televangelism”

Not to mention Rufus’ wonderufl observation that it doesn’t matter what you have faith in, as ling as you have faith. A good idea is better than belief tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 28 May 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Ah, yes… Ling

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Dan, didn’t you start a thread about pretty much this exact same thing several months ago?

And, no, I’m not going to search for it.  Do you know how many hoax and religion threads there are here? wink

Edit: So I lied.  Here it is.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Renquist - 28 May 2007 06:22 PM

The true answer to all this is in the film Dogma. Quoth the Apostle Rufus;

“His only real beef with mankind is the shit that gets carried out in His name. Wars. Bigotry. Televangelism”

Not to mention Rufus’ wonderufl observation that it doesn’t matter what you have faith in, as ling as you have faith. A good idea is better than belief tongue wink

Touche!

Well Tah, that particular thread was about who or what the ‘Higher Power’ is. 

This thread is about ‘human organized religion’ (as opposed to that of the critters-because I believe THEY believe we’re the Higher Power - which is pretty upsetting because when they hurt or are dying, we’re unable to give them the comfort they need.  Surely our mode of intent is frequently misunderstood no matter how hard we try to help them understand. )

Anyway, to thoughts of organized religions:

1. Manipulative, political platforms that coerce people to ‘pick a side’

Religion and faith (or spirituality) are two VERY different things

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

Fair enough, Huli.  Which is at least part of why I didn’t close this as duplicate.

But then, I usually tend to stay away from religious discussions with only an occasional exception.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 28 May 2007 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Hi, Tah!

Well, the interestsing factor in these discussions is that no one will ever be swayed to change their mind, so I guess from that perspective this is all pointless.

But it is fun, and enlightening, and Bible Dude is quite a nice fellow and fun to read, and David has incredible depth of knowledge, as does Accipeter and many others.

So it is kind of fun, like watching Survivor, the same old stuff, but yet fascinating, at least to me.

Dan, rattling on and on…...

Posted: 28 May 2007 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

By the way, Dan, it’s good to see you back.  I’ve been wondering where you disappeared to and if you were going to be back.  I’m glad you are.

And, yes, religious discussions can be interesting.  Enlightening even.  But they can also turn rather nasty.  We’ll hope that none of these head that way.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2007 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
Dan Jr. - 28 May 2007 05:34 PM

There is a retired San Francisco radio talk-show host whose oft-repeated prayer was, “God, please save me from your followers.”

If you put spitoons over their heads their not so dangerous.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 29 May 2007 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Dan Jr. - 29 May 2007 03:20 AM

Hi, Tah!

Well, the interestsing factor in these discussions is that no one will ever be swayed to change their mind, so I guess from that perspective this is all pointless.

But it is fun, and enlightening, and Bible Dude is quite a nice fellow and fun to read, and David has incredible depth of knowledge, as does Accipeter and many others.

So it is kind of fun, like watching Survivor, the same old stuff, but yet fascinating, at least to me.

Dan, rattling on and on…...

More like watching Lost.

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 29 May 2007 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5527
Joined  2007-03-14

People seem to have a real need to believe in something other than themselves.  I guess religion fills the void. 

Personally I find the idea of someone telling me what god wants me to do rather revolting as I’m pretty sure that if god (if he exists which I doubt anyway) really wanted me to do something he would let me know in a rather more personal way.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}