2 of 4
Probably one of the greatest hoax of all time
Posted: 28 May 2007 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

I think it’s funny when people make hoaxes about aliens or monsters as people get very paranoid LOL

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 03 June 2007 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26
Malfunctioned - 27 May 2007 10:25 AM

And the caution sign wasn’t around in the 1940s, and the clock is set at an unusual time for a autopsy.

Clocks are made by pixies.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 03 June 2007 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

You know, the odd thing about this movie (in addition to the oddities already mentioned), and the part I really cannot figure out, is this:

Someone spent an awful lot of time and money making this puppy.

Why?  There would be essentially no commeercial use for this film, it ‘earned’ no profits, am I right?  And the film-maker is unknown, so there is no return in the notoriety department, either.  So why make the puppy?

Dan, wondering

Posted: 03 June 2007 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2368
Joined  2007-02-06

Untrue, there was a foolish documentary made from it, hosted by that guy who played Riker on Star Trek. They claimed it was real and did tests, bla bla bla. Someone made money off of it.

Besides, why else do people make things up,
To either:
A) Get attention
or
B) Personal Amusement

[I should Fake-umentary]

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2007 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06

C) Financial Gain

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2007 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

It was made at the height of X-Files mania too, advertising revenue alone earned it tons of money.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 03 June 2007 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06

When I saw it, I didn’t believe it. It was too good to be true. I was even a kid then. I still believe in the UFO/Alien hype, but I am skeptical on many things. I have seen my own UFO before, no joke, it was an Unidentified Flying Object…

But I used to visit this one site often, it was dedicated to LIVE NASA feeds via satellite, which showed some odd and interesting things and how NASA would cut off the live feeds if anything even remotely odd showed up. Then one day, the site vanished into thin air. If I remembered the organization that ran the site, I would love to get ahold of them these days.

Signature 

Posted: 04 June 2007 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
MadCarlotta - 27 May 2007 04:36 PM

I knew it was a hoax before they even showed it, when they were hyping it up in ads and commercials.

I mean, c’mon….wink

IMHO the best Hoax of all time was the Orson Welles War of the Worlds radio broadcast.

The weirdest thing about that one is that if you listen to a rebroadcast, they tell you it’s fake multiple times.  They also do it at the very start of the program.

But apparently the night they aired it, it aired at the same time as the nation’s top radio show. But the top radio show didn’t air that night. So, what happened was people tuned in to listen to their favorite show and it wasn’t on. Then, they started flipping channels and found the War of the Worlds broadcast. But, by then, they had missed the initial notice that it was fake. smile

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 08 June 2007 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Glad someone brought up the War of the Worlds smile Definitely my favorite.

As for the alien autopsy, it made me laugh more than anything else, but I do know people who were “believers”.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 08 June 2007 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Stargazer - 04 June 2007 05:02 PM
MadCarlotta - 27 May 2007 04:36 PM

I knew it was a hoax before they even showed it, when they were hyping it up in ads and commercials.

I mean, c’mon….wink

IMHO the best Hoax of all time was the Orson Welles War of the Worlds radio broadcast.

The weirdest thing about that one is that if you listen to a rebroadcast, they tell you it’s fake multiple times.  They also do it at the very start of the program.

But apparently the night they aired it, it aired at the same time as the nation’s top radio show. But the top radio show didn’t air that night. So, what happened was people tuned in to listen to their favorite show and it wasn’t on. Then, they started flipping channels and found the War of the Worlds broadcast. But, by then, they had missed the initial notice that it was fake. smile

Young people didn’t fall for it- Orson Welles was well known to most young radio listeneres as ‘The Shadow’ so they knew it was a play. Older people…well they were idiots. They do mention several times it’s a play.

But it’s like Ghostwatch, the fake documentary screened ‘live’ on the BBC some years ago (just out on DVD and adorning my collection). It mentioned in the TV guides that it was fiction and even had a screenplay writer’s credit at the beginning (which the writer actually fought against in case it detracted from the atmosphere but it didn’t matter anyway it seems). Since it aired, the British Medical Assosciation recognises it as the only case of post-traumatic stress disorder caused by a TV show in children, and it produced thousands of complaints from people who’d soiled themselves, or parents whose kids wouldn’t sleep anymore.

But it’s bloody good.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 09 June 2007 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I recall that there was a new version of “The War of the Worlds” that came out on radio back in the 90’s some time.  I don’t remember much about it or who was in it, other than that it had the actress who played the first doctor on “Star Trek:  The Next Generation” voicing one part.  I don’t know what sorts of warnings they had saying that it was a drama or if anybody was panicked by it.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

2 of 4