Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Because dignity is overrated anyway cheese

Posted: 21 May 2007 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I remember dancing w/ my sister when it played on the radio.  She was much older than I was…so I got exposed to a lot of the 80s stuff that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise remembered.

I think it’s silly they’re fighting over it.  There have got to be plenty of people that don’t automatically know what it is…or remember it b/c of the song.  Think of people who were already adults…and not caring what was on the charts at the time…or the kids too young to remember.

Now…the number my younger sis & I remember all the time is the carpet people…1-800-588-2300 EMPIRE.  THAT made it’s own jingle…and we remember it just fine.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 21 May 2007 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21

I remember the old Pizza Hut commercials, Call 488-8888 for Pizza Hut pizza, its really great. That may have been a Minnesota thing though.

Also, I had to sing the Empire jingle as I read it.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 21 May 2007 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

ha!  The pizza hut we call is something like 684-8888 or something…or maybe 8484 at the end.  We order online a lot now…so I’ve forgotten it.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 21 May 2007 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21

When I was in high-school we did a little (lame) experiment. We started sing a jingle for a local college in a crowded lunch room. We wanted to see how many people would start singing along. It ended up being a table of 10 or so people yelling,

“One day one night, Saturday’s all right, on-line just fine, night time, anytime. Get your degree, set yourself free. National American University!”

We did get a few people join in.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 21 May 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

On a sidenote:

General phone number in the Netherlands of the police is: 0800-8844 which translates in dutch to 0800-TUIG
“Tuig” means scum.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 21 May 2007 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

Ooh, I’d forgotten about the Empire one.  I can remember the sound of it, but I would never have remembered the number.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 21 May 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I don’t recognise any of the songs anybody has mentioned on this page.  downer  So if I saw that telephone number anywhere, it wouldn’t mean a thing to me other than being a number.

If it is that famous of a number, though, I would think that the prank callers and people calling just to see what happens when they dial it would get to be annoying.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

When that song came out me and my friends endlessly called it. We didn’t try different area codes though, and at first some guy would answer but within a month the number was always busy and then shortly afterwards, disconnected LOL  The poor guy was probably going crazy with people calling him asking for Jenny.

It was such a stupid song too.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

Geeze, even NPR had to play the stupid song today.  Still didn’t recognize anything but the numbers, but I was amused by their comment that we listeners will now likely have the song stuck in our heads for the rest of the day because of them.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 21 May 2007 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

I’m happy to say that I never pranked that number.  And, yes, I grew up in the ‘80s.  I was 12 in 1982.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

{paginate}
2 of 3
{/paginate}