2 of 4
{/paginate}
The Secret Hoax *MERGED*
Posted: 20 May 2007 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Oh, is that what that stupid book I’m seeing everywhere is all about? The one with the wax seal thingy on the cover?

It sounds like “Creative visualization” (another new agey concept) repackaged to make it seem all um,.... secretive. Not a new concept, nothing “secret” about it. And yeah, a big pile of horse poo smile  I’m all for positive thinking, and I do think that with the right mindset, much can be accomplished, but you have to actually go out and accomplish something LOL

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 20 May 2007 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10
MadCarlotta - 20 May 2007 12:42 PM

Oh, is that what that stupid book I’m seeing everywhere is all about? The one with the wax seal thingy on the cover?

It sounds like “Creative visualization” (another new agey concept) repackaged to make it seem all um,.... secretive. Not a new concept, nothing “secret” about it. And yeah, a big pile of horse poo smile  I’m all for positive thinking, and I do think that with the right mindset, much can be accomplished, but you have to actually go out and accomplish something LOL

That’s the one!  I’m so sick of seeing it around.  They sell the DVD’s at Cosco, I see people at the gym reading the book, the radio DJ’s talk about how eye opening it was on the radio.  Why are people so stupid?

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 20 May 2007 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, visualisation or focused thinking or whatever you want to call it can have some influence on your own self (not will have, mind you, but can have).  Placebos are a good example of that, as are hypochondriacs.  But mainly, that’s either changing how you think you feel, or else you managing to trick your body into releasing more or less hormones.  Making your body sprout tumours is a bit different from that.

Positive thinking can also have an important part to play in shaping the world around you.  But not by simply thinking “Wouldn’t it be nice if my house was all repainted?” and then sitting back to wait for it to happen by the power of thought.  Rather, it’s the first step in you actually getting up off your backside, going to the store, buying paint and brushes, and then getting to work on your walls.  In that way, at least, thinking about something can result in it happening.

Whichever case, it’s not any sort of a great “secret” or “process”.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 May 2007 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
gray - 20 May 2007 01:05 AM

I’ll bet if I took the right drugs I could do that too.

Make sure they’re the RIGHT drugs. Try that with the wrong drugs and not only will your visualisations happen, but they’ll come out the walls to get you tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 21 May 2007 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21
Razela - 19 May 2007 11:45 PM
Renquist - 19 May 2007 10:34 PM

I believe I missed the point behind this post.

He’s talking about “The Secret” DVD’s and books that are being promoted by Oprah and are basically just a crock of shit.  It claims that there is a “law of attraction” where if you focus and think about something, it will happen.  In other words, if you want big muscles you visual yourself with big muscles and your muscles will get bigger (regardless of actually going to the gym).  It also claims that people will diseases like cancer gave themselves those diseases by thinking about them.  Or, something like that.  Unfortunately, it’s being taken very seriously by the media and it’s DVD’s are top sellers.

Damn you Raz, I wish you had never told me about this. Your CIA connections to my radio are one thing, but this “secret” thing is too much.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 21 May 2007 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

We went over this when the movie came out, and even then it was an old belief.  But then, originality has never been a strong point of the paranormal camp.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 21 May 2007 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

There was a movie about this?

I’m so glad I pay no attention to things LOL

I found the Da Vinci Code phenomenon really annoying too. Another old story/concept/conspiracy someone polished up and offered to the masses.  I should go dig up some old crackpot theory and write a book about it and make billions of dollars too.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 21 May 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

What the #$*! Do We (K)now!?

It was much talked about at the time, though it faded away as the next new age fad came on the scene.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 21 May 2007 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10
Slender Loris - 21 May 2007 04:33 PM
Razela - 19 May 2007 11:45 PM
Renquist - 19 May 2007 10:34 PM

I believe I missed the point behind this post.

He’s talking about “The Secret” DVD’s and books that are being promoted by Oprah and are basically just a crock of shit.  It claims that there is a “law of attraction” where if you focus and think about something, it will happen.  In other words, if you want big muscles you visual yourself with big muscles and your muscles will get bigger (regardless of actually going to the gym).  It also claims that people will diseases like cancer gave themselves those diseases by thinking about them.  Or, something like that.  Unfortunately, it’s being taken very seriously by the media and it’s DVD’s are top sellers.

Damn you Raz, I wish you had never told me about this. Your CIA connections to my radio are one thing, but this “secret” thing is too much.

I do not have CIA connections damn it!!  (though I do know what you’re radio dj’s are going to say due to my innate ability to read into people’s personalities and therefore be able to guess the topics they enjoy talking about).

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 21 May 2007 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Razela - 21 May 2007 08:15 PM

I do not have CIA connections damn it!!  (though I do know what you’re radio dj’s are going to say due to my innate ability to read into people’s personalities and therefore be able to guess the topics they enjoy talking about).

*hides in terror from agent Razela*

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 May 2007 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21
Accipiter - 21 May 2007 08:30 PM
Razela - 21 May 2007 08:15 PM

*hides in terror from agent Razela*

Hiding does no good.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

{paginate}
2 of 4
{/paginate}