1 of 4
The Secret Hoax *MERGED*
Posted: 19 May 2007 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-05-19

“Every generation gets the pyramid scheme it deserves, and ours begins and ends with The Secret, a self-help phenomenon that differs little from previous philosophies of positive thinking, except that it uses the veneer of

Signature 

Poems That Make You Laugh
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ErnestSlyman

Posted: 19 May 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I believe I missed the point behind this post.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 19 May 2007 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10
Renquist - 19 May 2007 10:34 PM

He’s talking about “The Secret” DVD’s and books that are being promoted by Oprah and are basically just a crock of shit.  It claims that there is a “law of attraction” where if you focus and think about something, it will happen.  In other words, if you want big muscles you visual yourself with big muscles and your muscles will get bigger (regardless of actually going to the gym).  It also claims that people will diseases like cancer gave themselves those diseases by thinking about them.  Or, something like that.  Unfortunately, it’s being taken very seriously by the media and it’s DVD’s are top sellers.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 19 May 2007 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Wow….......... or wow

Sounds like a kind of ‘scientoilllogical’ idea

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Razela - 19 May 2007 11:45 PM

He’s talking about “The Secret” DVD’s and books that are being promoted by Oprah and are basically just a crock of shit.  It claims that there is a “law of attraction” where if you focus and think about something, it will happen.  In other words, if you want big muscles you visual yourself with big muscles and your muscles will get bigger (regardless of actually going to the gym).  It also claims that people will diseases like cancer gave themselves those diseases by thinking about them.  Or, something like that.  Unfortunately, it’s being taken very seriously by the media and it’s DVD’s are top sellers.

Thanks! Makes a whole lot more sense now. Wait, no it doesn’t. It sounds daft tongue wink

Heard of the whole ‘focus on things and they will happen’ guff before but never like this. This is a step beyond. Whatever happened to good ol’ karma? All these new-fangled beliefs are all about me-me-me, always trying to get stuff for yourself. Give me do-good-things-and-good-things-happen anyday!

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10
Renquist - 20 May 2007 12:15 AM
Razela - 19 May 2007 11:45 PM

Thanks! Makes a whole lot more sense now. Wait, no it doesn’t. It sounds daft tongue wink

Heard of the whole ‘focus on things and they will happen’ guff before but never like this. This is a step beyond. Whatever happened to good ol’ karma? All these new-fangled beliefs are all about me-me-me, always trying to get stuff for yourself. Give me do-good-things-and-good-things-happen anyday!

Actually, it seems like the original poster thought that “the secret” is a load of baloney as well.  S/he actually calls it a hoax, hence why I assume s/he posted here.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Yes, I assume the original poster is against the whole thing, since they posted an extremely scathing review. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m all for positive thinking, but unless your going to follow it up with positive action, it is kinda pointless

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Razela - 20 May 2007 12:19 AM

Actually, it seems like the original poster thought that “the secret” is a load of baloney as well.  S/he actually calls it a hoax, hence why I assume s/he posted here.

I thought that Renquist was saying that the ‘Secret’ idea was guff… he didn’t mention the original poster.
But seeing as I can’t speak for him, I may be wrong.

Anyway, yes, the idea of The Secret is a big pile of horse manure.
At least there’s a reasonably strong backlash against it.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Boo - 20 May 2007 12:41 AM
Razela - 20 May 2007 12:19 AM

I thought that Renquist was saying that the ‘Secret’ idea was guff… he didn’t mention the original poster.
But seeing as I can’t speak for him, I may be wrong.

Anyway, yes, the idea of The Secret is a big pile of horse manure.
At least there’s a reasonably strong backlash against it.

You can speak for me anytime tongue wink

I was only talking about the idea, not the original poster. He (or she) does indeed seem to be critical. In which case a good show all round.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 19 May 2007 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-05-19

Let me see if I have this straight.

Esther Hicks, Law of Attraction proponent, is translating blocks of thought from “Broader Non-Physical Conciousness” made up of a group of Beings who call themselves “Abraham” - no relation to the Biblical figure.

She’s channeling these three spirits from another world. The next world, the afterlife, one assumes. What could be more clearly an indication that someone is pulling my leg.

(The Secret has been given support by the likes of Anthony Robbins, Oprah, Wayne Dyer, et al. Go figure?)

Signature 

Poems That Make You Laugh
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ErnestSlyman

Posted: 19 May 2007 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

I’ll bet if I took the right drugs I could do that too.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 4