3 of 4
"VT massacre killed 33, but we wished it was 33.000"
Posted: 07 May 2007 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Probably because then people would cheer instead of talk about what a tragedy it was. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 07 May 2007 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
thunder - 07 May 2007 10:51 PM
Accipiter - 06 May 2007 03:15 AM

It’s rather interesting how they claim that bad things only happen to bad people. . .except for when it is themselves who have bad things happen to them.

I watched a documentary about these guys, a reporter went and lived with them for a week, a girl he was talking to told him that she would be happy if he died as God would be punishing a sinner, so he asked her something like “So what if your mum died?” and she just replied that her mum must have sinned and so she would be happy because a sinner is getting what they deserve.

Lovely.

That sounds like it could be evidence of child abuse. Not physical abuse (although who’s to say it hasn’t happened) but emotional or mental abuse. Certainly this sounds like this girl has been denied her Right to function normally in society.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 08 May 2007 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Peter - 08 May 2007 02:28 AM
thunder - 07 May 2007 10:51 PM

It’s rather interesting how they claim that bad things only happen to bad people. . .except for when it is themselves who have bad things happen to them.

I watched a documentary about these guys, a reporter went and lived with them for a week, a girl he was talking to told him that she would be happy if he died as God would be punishing a sinner, so he asked her something like “So what if your mum died?” and she just replied that her mum must have sinned and so she would be happy because a sinner is getting what they deserve.

Lovely.

That sounds like it could be evidence of child abuse. Not physical abuse (although who’s to say it hasn’t happened) but emotional or mental abuse. Certainly this sounds like this girl has been denied her Right to function normally in society.

But then it could be argued that raising her with this belief is no worse than a child brought up in a very religious catholic or muslim household. Or any other religion really.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 09 May 2007 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
thunder - 08 May 2007 09:46 PM
Peter - 08 May 2007 02:28 AM

But then it could be argued that raising her with this belief is no worse than a child brought up in a very religious catholic or muslim household. Or any other religion really.

While I wouldn’t deny that such things would happen in families that are members of other religions it still doesn’t make it right. You have to take into account the norms of behaviour and attitude of the society the girl is living in. For example if this happened in a Catholic family (or in a family of a different Christian faith) I would still say the same thing about it. I dare say a lot of very religious Catholic and Muslim households would not let this happen.

Yes you could come up with examples of different societies with different “norms” but do you really want to live in a world where it’s OK for a child to say such things?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 09 May 2007 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

There are actually quite a few religions I’ve seen where people are encouraged to rejoice and be happy when people die.  But with those, it was always because those who died have fulfilled their destinies and gone on to a better happier place beyond worldly suffering and all that sort of thing.  Not because the dead were evil and deserved to suffer and die.  There is a distinction there.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

as in: when Jesus was crucified…after being beaten beyond recognition….

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I just don’t understand the mindset. How can you be filled with so much hate? Wouldn’t it be exhausting, if nothing else?

I’m currently trying to let go of the anger caused by a supposed friend of 15 years who seriously betrayed me. I have a very good reason to have hate towards him, but I can’t stand that I’m feeling that negative towards someone and am doing my best to get past it. I can’t imagine the stress of hating every single person who either isn’t the same colour/religion as me or who doesn’t share my way of thinking.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 09 May 2007 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

From the info in the link Boo provided and a few video’s of the guy I have seen, the leader of that cult is a classic psychopath. It has all the elements: revelling in causing pain and anguish and suffering, far-reaching manipulation of people for your own gain, no feelings of guilt, using people as instruments, revelling in humiliating people, complete lack of empathy.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 May 2007 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-05-09

We had a bit of a scare in my hometown when the WBC threatened to come here and protest the funeral of a 21-year-old man who died fighting in Iraq. The police department planned for hundreds of people to line the funeral route so they couldn’t get anywhere near his family. Luckily, they couldn’t get a permit in time and never showed up.

Posted: 09 May 2007 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
MadCarlotta - 09 May 2007 02:47 PM

I just don’t understand the mindset. How can you be filled with so much hate? Wouldn’t it be exhausting, if nothing else?

That’s exactly what I don’t understand either.

What’s also scary is that by teaching “God hates fags”, then when they hate gay people, to them, they are acting Godly, or Divine.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 09 May 2007 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Peter - 09 May 2007 01:30 PM
thunder - 08 May 2007 09:46 PM

While I wouldn’t deny that such things would happen in families that are members of other religions it still doesn’t make it right. You have to take into account the norms of behaviour and attitude of the society the girl is living in. For example if this happened in a Catholic family (or in a family of a different Christian faith) I would still say the same thing about it. I dare say a lot of very religious Catholic and Muslim households would not let this happen.

Yes you could come up with examples of different societies with different “norms” but do you really want to live in a world where it’s OK for a child to say such things?

No, I didn’t say it’s right, I just said that it does happen in other cultures, not to this extent, perhaps, but then it’s all in context really. This is the most extreme religion “available” at the moment, so people are gonna get insulted and offended at it. I’ll bet you that in about 10 years there’ll be some even worse group calling themselves religious that people will object even more to.

MadCarlotta - 09 May 2007 02:47 PM

I don’t think they do hate, I think its just what they’ve been brought up to be. They were born into it. Well, not the one reading in the film, but I’d say it’s more about power and feeling important than any actual hate he has of the world.

And just to clarify, I do not in any way think that these people are right in their beliefs smile

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

3 of 4

‹‹ French AIDS Awareness Posters      XKCD ››