1 of 1
{/paginate}
UFO in Cleveland Ohio ??
Posted: 04 May 2007 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-01-17

see it for yourself:

http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=3114625&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1

what do you think?

(link updated 5/5/07 3:03pm)

Posted: 04 May 2007 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I think that it could be almost anything, as the quality of the video is so bad.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 04 May 2007 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

In the first short clip, I was saying “Is that not the full moon?”

Then when they showed more footage it just looked like a balloon.

They said it moved to and fro. Like… a balloon caught in the gusts of wind.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 May 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

I agree.  It looks like the full moon in a really bad quality, shakey video.  It’s near impossible to tell.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 05 May 2007 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

This is Venus.

The “disc” of light in the second part of the video (see attached screenshots) clearly is an out of focus image of a stellar point source. No doubt about that, you can see the typical ring pattern that results of that.

Direction is given as SE-NW, i.e. WEST. And it concerned a bright light, “brighter than any star”

Venus (the planet) is a very bright sight in the western evening sky at the moment. Indeed, it is brighter than any star. The description of “sometimes bluish gasses coming out of it, and the next moment perfectly round but with patterns” also points to an unsharp image of Venus, the “blue” being due to atmospheric refraction as it is low in the sky.

I.e., there is no doubt in my mind that this is a typical Venus sighting again, sightings that are responsible for many UFO reports.

Image Attachments
ufo.jpgufo2.jpg
 Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 May 2007 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-01-17

Thank you, LaMa.  You’re so smart!
I think there’s an opening at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History for an astronomer if you’re interested. ;o)

Posted: 06 May 2007 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Apart from the fact that a Natural History museum is an odd place for an astronomer, professional astronomers are certainly not always the right persons to turn to with these kinds of observations. While knowing all of fusion processes in stellar nuclei or the formation of black holes, they usually have very little practical knowledge of mundane night sky phenomena. Being a high-level amateur astronomer, I have a lot of contacts in the professional astronomy world, and it by no means is unusual to stand under a starry sky with one of those professional guys/girls, and note (s)he can’t even correctly identify the major constellations.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 06 May 2007 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Yup. Specially english speaking ones. Everybody knows it

Image Attachments
Bears.gif
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 May 2007 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Venus as a bright object in the evening twilight sky. Wide angle image shot by me yesterday evening.

Signature 

———

Posted: 06 May 2007 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

———

Posted: 06 May 2007 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

I remember the nights on Formentera (Balearic Isalnd) as a kid. There was no electricity. Only one man called Amador, who had a bar halfway down the island, had a lightbulb and a fridge, which ran on a old dieselgenerator. On moonless nights the stars would be enough to walk around at night. But people can

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 May 2007 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Yes, the weather predictions are bad for coming evening. A few nights ago we had unusally clear skies though.

I am an observing amateur astronomer for almost 30 years now (started at age 6 with an interest in astronomy, observing since age 9, my first telescope when I was 10). Here in western Holland, sky quality is very poor (still, I manage to do some useful work). When we want(ed) to have dark skies we either went to the Flevo-polder, or some other country. I have observed from Spain (a.o. on Calar Alto), Portugal, France, the Gobi desert and Arizona. Nothing beats the beauty of a dark sky down to magnitude +7.0 from a desert or a mountain.

Signature 

———

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}