Scam my dog, please.
Posted: 27 April 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Yesterday, I got these two bills.  Actually, my dog Tubby got these two bills.  Now once a long time ago, I ordered Shape magazine in Tubby’s name.  The reason I did this was because when I ordered the magazine I added an adendum stating that they did not have my (Tubby’s) permission to sell my name and address, yada, yada, yada.  I wanted to see if they would abide by my wishes.  Apparently not, because Tubby received all kinds of junkmail after that including credit card applications.

Anyway, I never renewed Shape and it expired months and months ago.  I’ve never even bought an issue of Fitness.  My husbands grandmother used to have tons of magazines in her house that she never read.  When my sister-in-law started going through ALL her mail, she found these solicitations all the time.  Grandma thought hey were bills and she paid them.  Anyway, I think this marketing technique is a sorry scam primarily aimed at the elderly (and dogs). 

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 27 April 2007 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

well, the yahoo email address for a business is VERY suspect. I would contact the magazines and ask if they have you listed for a subscription. If not, file a police report and let the magazine know that someone is doing this in their name.

Also, usually subscription renewal forms are postage paid….I think. It’s been a long time since I either filled one out or created one for a client, but I seem to remember that being the case. It may not be in all cases though.

I also find the lack of the publisher’s name on the address very suspect as well.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 27 April 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

You could also call the number provided and ask a few very pointed questions.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 27 April 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Crap, I didn’t even notice the yahoo address.  I figured the businesses were legit, but don’t approve of their tactics.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 27 April 2007 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Well, the best indicator would be if your grandmother (or you) start receiving the magazines again.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2007 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

This is a scam.

Companies frequently get faxed fake bills like these, and many get paid by unwary company employees.

I should turn them over to the Police.

And indeed, a Yahoo-mailaddress for a company is very suspect.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 28 April 2007 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1826
Joined  2006-03-03

Poor Tubby downer

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Because dignity is overrated anyway cheese

Posted: 28 April 2007 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

Not to mention that the phone number provided is in Kansas City when their offices are said to be in Boulder.    Definitely a scam.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website