2 of 4
{/paginate}
List of greatest children’s books announced
Posted: 24 April 2007 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

5th sounds about right to me, too.  I recall our 4th grade teacher read it out loud to us.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 April 2007 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I skipped grades Kindergarten to 12th myself, so I don’t really know what’s read at what time in school.  I know that in the higher levels, the students have to read lots of long, dull, plodding books that somebody somewhere has decided to inflict upon the schools because they are Great Works Of Literature.  I just read whatever was available, which often wasn’t much and which ranged from decades-old magazines to atlases to Andre Norton.  I never read any of the books on that list, or even heard of any of them other than The Borrowers and Tom’s Midnight Garden (and The Owl Service sounds familiar; I think one of the British members of the Forum might have brought it up once).  Other than those, all the books on the list are complete blanks to me.  As are the authors, for that matter.

I think I was in my late teens or early twenties before I tried reading the Narnia books, but I found them to be non-involving and never finished them.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 April 2007 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was 5, and worked my way through the others soon afterwards. I’ve re-read the series many times, and still enjoy it.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 April 2007 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I never even heard of that series until the movie came out.  *prepares for beating*

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 25 April 2007 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02
N E O - 25 April 2007 08:05 PM

I never even heard of that series until the movie came out.  *prepares for beating*

blank stare

I can’t beat you, you’ve been reduced to pitiful and I can’t hit someone who is so pathetic.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 25 April 2007 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

Um, thanks?
I led a sheltered childhood in the way of literature.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Yeah…I bet you never read about Nigger Jim, either.  tongue wink

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

That would be a no.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Madmouse - 25 April 2007 07:49 PM

I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was 5, and worked my way through the others soon afterwards. I’ve re-read the series many times, and still enjoy it.

Yep, same for me.
smile

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
N E O - 25 April 2007 09:03 PM

That would be a no.

He’s a character in Huckleberry Finn.  It was banned from schools in more recent history b/c of the use of the word ‘nigger’.  I figured if you hadn’t read the Chronicals of Narnia, no way had you read Huck Finn.

I don’t think the Narnia series interested me until mom bought the entire set once (one of those cheapy Barnes & Noble type box sets).  Once I had them all in front of me…I didn’t mind reading them.  (I hate reading books w/ a sequal/prequal & not getting to read the others…I often ignore books from a series if I know I won’t be able to get my hands on more than just the one.)

I thoroughly enjoyed it & have read it more than once.

As much as I like the Lord of the Rings trilogy (which I never understood why it was a trilogy until I looked at the cover of the Return of the King one day…I have a set in which there are FOUR books, not 3…but then realized RotK was in 2 volumes).  The Hobbit is my very most favorite from Tolkein.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

Oh sure I have read Huck Finn, like 20 years ago and don’t remember all the characters by name.  That was a common word in my family back then.

Signature 

{paginate}
2 of 4
{/paginate}