Man Uses T-Shirt to Catch Baby
Posted: 07 October 2005 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) - A high school history teacher took the T-shirt off his back to catch a premature baby as a woman pregnant with triplets gave birth in a subway stairwell.

Lanitta Lewis, 30, was on her way to a doctor’s appointment Monday when she felt the first birth pains and called out for help. She was largely ignored by commuters in the Bay Area Rapid Transit station until Biko Eisen-Martin took notice.

Eisen-Martin, on a break from Berkeley High, ran to a nearby cafe to call an ambulance and returned in time with his T-shirt to catch a 3-pound girl, he said. Paramedics rushed the baby to Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland.

The other two girls were delivered by Caesarean section at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley. The first baby was reunited with her younger siblings at Alta Bates Summit and they were attached to feeding tubes but listed in good condition Wednesday, hospital officials said.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051006/D8D2KALG2.html

The poor woman was largely ignored by other commuters?
Gits.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 07 October 2005 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

That’s what happens nowadays.

A former colleague of mine was clubbed unconscious by an unknown assaillant one evening at a metro station (and not robbed. A number of other people have been assaulted in the same way there). He ‘woke up’ with his head covered in blood some 4 hours later, when a metro employee checked him out . Apparently, everybody else walked by those 4 hours….

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 October 2005 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I just don’t understand it.  I notice all sorts of things…If I saw something like this, my first thought would be, “Will this situation put me in danger,” and then, “What can I do to make the situation better?”

Once, when Jason worked in a crummy part of town, and I had driven up to see him on his lunch break…I was driving by a trailer park entranace when a guy shoved a girl into the rdwy.  I didn’t stop b/c I was 7 mos. pregnant, and I felt I could be in danger if i got involved, but I did call 911 right away and give them the location…and then pulled into a nearby gas station and stayed on the line with the 911 operator until she told me the police had arrived at the scene.

When I was being trained for CPR and the like, the one thing the instructor told us that seemed to impress upon me the most, was that when an emergency began, instead of just yelling, “Someone call 911!  Someone call for help!”  To look and point at a specific person and say, “YOU, call 911.”  Maybe b/c no one’s attention is on the problem, they’re not aware that the police or ambulance should be called.  No one has grabbed their attention and said…YOU - DO SOMETHING.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 09 October 2005 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

thats good info.

The problem around here is that unless you actually SEE something, you dont take notice.
For instance, if you hear someone down the street screaming rape, you just think it’s the girls down the road doing it as usual (they do this at least twice a week). Someone was murdered a few months ago, but no-one took notice ‘cos they thought they were pranksters. How bad is that? (this wasn’t down my road, this was a few blocks away near where a friend of mine lives)

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.