1 of 2
Did NASA Accidentally “Nuke” Jupiter?
Posted: 10 April 2007 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

On September 21, 2003 NASA deliberately directed its amazing, still-functioning Galileo spacecraft to make one final, 108,000 mph suicidal plunge into Jupiter

Image Attachments
jupiter-10-19-03-Meekers-CL-1.jpgjupiter-10-19-03-Meekers.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 April 2007 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

Thanks Beasjt!  One of the better Conspiracy Theories I’ve heard lately. 

I’ll not bother to poke holes at it.  The author pokes many of the holes I would have (and I am not an astrophysicist) and then claims that they exist due to a cover-up.

Posted: 10 April 2007 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

What a bunch of typical Hoagland humbug…

1. dark spots appear more often in the very dynamic cloudscape of Jupiter. It doesn’t need this fancy scenario;

2. the comparison with the spots of the comet Shoemaker Levy-impact on Jupiter fails, as Hoagland himself agrees on (but then he harks to an unlikely alternative scenario to keep it up nevertheless). These were only visible in the hours directly after the impact of the comet fragments and then vanished. The 2003 Jupiter spot was observed a month after the Galileo impact.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 10 April 2007 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
LaMa - 10 April 2007 12:42 PM

What a bunch of typical Hoagland humbug…

The 2003 Jupiter spot was observed a month after the Galileo impact.

On the website it says:

I suddenly realized that everyone had apparently forgotten one well-known impact that HAD taken place

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 April 2007 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

As I said, it doesn’t need this whole fancy scenario to explain a spot on Jupiter. Spots have appeared and disappeared on Jupiter many times since the start of telescopic observations.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 10 April 2007 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

And then he pulls in the idea of making Jupiter into a sun. While a fission reaction could localy create enough pressure/heat for a fusion of deuterium or perhaps even hydrogen to take place; with energy dissipation and the lack of mass (or rather density),  jupiter, especially in its athmosphere, could not maintain a consistent deuteriumreaction to even fall into the stellar category of a Brown Dwarf.
And it’s not like we need more heat, with all that global warming going on. Though it’s only time before someone shows up to blame Jupiter (or Saturnus). Meh.  blank stare

(For the scientists here, feel free to inform me of any un-scientific mumbling or errors in this particular post. I only have a general understanding of astrophysics.)

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 10 April 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

Not only that, he ends up with a claim that Shoemaker was murdered to cover up the fact that the Shoemaker Levy comet was manmade and intended to ignite Jupiter.  Clearly a nut job, but at least an interesting nut job. grin

Posted: 10 April 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Below is a drawing I made of Jupiter on 6 September 1987, 20 years ago, as seen through my 4.5” telescope.

a. is the Great Red Spot
b. are various dark structures/spots
c. is a light spot

Dark spots are a natural phenomena of this planet. No need to revert to fancy theory about exploding NASA probes to explain such a spot.

Image Attachments
jupiter1.jpg
 Signature 

———

Posted: 10 April 2007 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16
LaMa - 10 April 2007 04:57 PM

Below is a drawing I made of Jupiter on 6 September 1987, 20 years ago, as seen through my 4.5” telescope.

a. is the Great Red Spot
b. are various dark structures/spots
c. is a light spot

OMG!  There is an alien race on Jupiter and they were having a nuclear war 20 years ago!!!! big surprise

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 10 April 2007 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Damn Jupiteranians! wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 10 April 2007 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

By Jove! 

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 11 April 2007 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

Sounds to me like this guy spent the weekend on the couch watching the 2001 / 2010 Space Odyssey movies… and it just goes to prove that not everyone deserves to be heard…

rolleyes

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

1 of 2