Fermilab sends CERN duff magnets.
Posted: 04 April 2007 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

From the BBC News site:

Failure during Cern magnet test

A vital component in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) particle accelerator at Cern has suffered a serious failure.

The giant underground laboratory on the French-Swiss border is designed to probe the limits of physics. It is the world’s biggest facility of its type, and will collide sub-atomic particles in a 27km-long ringed tunnel.

One of eight magnet assemblies placed at points around the LHC failed in a test ahead of the lab’s scheduled start-up in late 2007. The magnet assemblies, called “inner triplets”, consist of three “quadrupole” magnets that are cooled using superfluid helium at 1.9 Kelvin (-271C) inside a vacuum vessel. One inner triplet is located on either side of the four major detector experiments at the LHC.

The magnets focus particle beams prior to collision at each of these four interaction points around the accelerator ring. A statement from Fermilab, which built the inner triplet magnet assemblies, said that a structure holding the magnets in place broke during the test.

Understanding the problem

“Fermilab and Cern engineers are looking into this very closely,” a spokesman for Cern told BBC News. The spokesman said it was still unknown whether the failure would affect the schedule for the switch-on of the LHC.

“We’re not saying the schedule is delayed or otherwise. We just need to understand the problem a bit better before we can say,” he explained. The issue is thought to be a “systematic” one affecting all eight inner triplet assemblies. The structure broke as it was put under a pressure of 20 atmospheres and uneven forces were applied to it. Such forces are expected to occasionally occur during the operation of the LHC. The LHC is a powerful and complicated machine, which will smash particles together at super-fast speeds in a bid to unlock the secrets of the Universe.

Over 1,000 powerful “dipole” magnets occupy the subterranean tunnel in which the accelerator is housed. These magnets carry two beams of particles around the ring at speeds close to the speed of light. One pair of inner triplets focuses these beams prior to collision at each of four experiments located around the LHC tunnel. The one affected in the test is located on one side of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment. The CMS, along with the rival experiment Atlas, will seek to identify the elusive Higgs boson (known as the “God particle” because of its importance to the Standard Model of particle interactions), look for so-called supersymmetric particles and seek out the existence of extra dimensions.

These experiments, each about the size of a mansion, will capture and measure new particles produced in the beam collisions.

What is not mentioned is that in the race to discover the Higgs Boson, the earlier leader (Fermilab’s Tevatron) looked set to be overtaken by the brighter and more powerful LHC. Right up until Fermilab delivered a matching set of defective magnets, that is!
hmmm

Posted: 05 April 2007 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-08-12

My head hurts now…

Signature 

Netwinner-Get prizes for free!
Netwinner

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02
Blant - 05 April 2007 07:26 AM

My head hurts now…

David’s posts sometimes have that effect on people wink  Something to do with him being super intelligent or something and using BIG words and understanding scientific principles and molecules and stuff.

Oh btw, welcome to the forum cheese

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 05 April 2007 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Oh, for goodness sake! It’s only FODO and triplet lattice magnetic focusing using superconducting quadrupoles. It’s hardly rocket science!

Posted: 05 April 2007 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

You’re dead sexy when you talk all scientific-y you know. tongue wink

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 05 April 2007 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

I can say from experience there are much worse things you could do in science, things you have to be hopping mad to even think about attempting. Like solving an 8-dimensional differential equation with 5 symbolic values, entirely drawn in pink and yellow crayon with roman numerals and all zeroes substituted with little green hats.  gulp

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 05 April 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Frankly, you have to be hopping mad to choose a career in science anyway.

And I am allowed to say that, as a scientist.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 April 2007 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14
LaMa - 05 April 2007 05:01 PM

Frankly, you have to be hopping mad to choose a career in science anyway.

And I am allowed to say that, as a scientist.

I agree…  and I’m a non scientist.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}