Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

LOL
Good for her neighbours!
Glad they wanted to help.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 October 2005 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2005-08-03

She probably could have worded the banner a little better than “Help I’m locked up”

Signature 

I’m not an idiot. I just play one in a roleplaying game.

Posted: 05 October 2005 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

Good on the neighbours for taking action.  Silly her for choosing such inappropriate wording.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 05 October 2005 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Well it’s her fault for living on the 3rd/4th floor when she’s unable to walk properly. What would happen if there was a fire? We had a couple of old people who lived above us. She could hardly walk and her husband kept falling down the stairs and breaking his hip. (Nasty i know but if you’re 90 and can’t walk, why would you continue to live in a third storey flat with no lift access?)

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 05 October 2005 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29
Mort - 05 October 2005 08:25 AM

...but if you’re 90 and can’t walk, why would you continue to live in a third storey flat with no lift access?)

Affordability and availability.  If a seventh floor apartment is available at a price you can afford, you won’t take a ground floor apartment you can’t.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 05 October 2005 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Mort - 05 October 2005 08:25 AM

Well it’s her fault for living on the 3rd/4th floor when she’s unable to walk properly. What would happen if there was a fire? We had a couple of old people who lived above us. She could hardly walk and her husband kept falling down the stairs and breaking his hip. (Nasty i know but if you’re 90 and can’t walk, why would you continue to live in a third storey flat with no lift access?)

Mort, this is Holland, more specifically west Holland. This is one of the most crowded parts of the world and has a serious housing problem. You just can’t change housing here that simple, unless you have money.

This old lady likely is on an AOW retirement,  which means she cannot afford renting in the private sector, or buying. And here in this part of the country, if you want to apply for a rental house through the municipal agencies, you have waiting lists of years (I am waiting for 3 years now for a house change myself and probably have to wait another few years). “Urgency status” are seldom awarded, and when (as it seems) her appartement building normaly has a working elevator, would certainly not be granted.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 October 2005 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

Mort, asides from the issues of affordabilty it can be somewhat beneficial for elderly people who are reasonably hale and hearty if NOT to confine themselves to accomodation where there are no stairs. I have worked extensively as a volunteer with the elderly and often find that those who continue to walk about as much as possible maintain much greater command of their movements. My own grandmother insists, despite having had both hips replaced, on remaining in her townhouse which has steps up to it and stairs inside. Although I worry about her sometimes I can see that it is a valid way of keeping fit.

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

Posted: 05 October 2005 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Smerk - 05 October 2005 05:38 AM

Good on the neighbours for taking action.  Silly her for choosing such inappropriate wording.

Took the words straight from my voicebox.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}