1 of 2
New Tolkien Book to be Released Next Month
Posted: 26 March 2007 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

[url=http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/news/article2390834.ece]Christopher Tolkien has finished his father’s last (unfinished)book “The Children of H

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 March 2007 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

That’s the first time I’ve ever had an orgasm at work.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 26 March 2007 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

shut eye

.....thanks for the visual Tah….

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 March 2007 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

Hey, you could do worse. cheese

wink

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 26 March 2007 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Yes, I probably could tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2007 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

There.  I have spread the word.

At least as much as I can at work. wink

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2007 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m interested.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 27 March 2007 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I found The Silmarillion to be rather dull.  But I think that much of that may have had to do with it just covering such a huge scope of subject matter.  This book should be a lot more focused, so hopefully it will be better.

Or else Christopher Tolkien is just a naturally dull author, so we’re doomed.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 April 2007 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6562757.stm

‘New’ Tolkien novel goes on sale

A new book by The Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien has gone on sale, 34 years after the writer’s death.

The Children of Hurin has been completed by his son Christopher from a series of unfinished manuscripts.

Christopher said the story, set long before the events of the Rings trilogy, represents the last major work by his father about Middle-earth.

The book has been illustrated by Alan Lee, who worked on the movie series and helped launch the book in London.

Tolkien’s grandson Adam, who worked as assistant editor on the book, was also at the launch.

He said he was “sad” at how some fans have forgotten about who his grandfather actually was.

“Everyone talks about the brand , the franchise and the films. People obviously forget there’s a man behind it, that he wrote it for his reasons and the books are wonderful,” he added.

“I’m certainly not unhappy about the success they’ve had, but it’s a shame that it should become a brand. It’s a work of art.”

‘Life changing’

One fan at the launch, Australian Asher Solomon, was buying a copy for his older brother who introduced him to The Hobbit when he was 10.

“It was a life-changing moment because it was the first sort of real book that I ever read. He introduced me to the whole genre of fantasy, but the first one’s always the best one,” he said.

Fans will recognise several passages from the book that have already been published separately.

Christopher Tolkien previously edited another of his father’s unfinished works, The Silmarillion, in 1977. This outlines the mythology of Middle-earth and includes individual tales, including that of The Children of Hurin.

“After a long study of the manuscripts, I tried to build a coherent narrative without editorial invention,” Christopher said of the latest work.

Speaking to BBC Two’s Newsnight Adam said the book had a different tone to the Rings trilogy.

‘Beautiful tale’

He said: “It is definitely a tragic tale. I don’t know what people will make of it.

“It takes place in a part of Middle-earth that doesn’t exist any more when Lord of the Rings takes place but it is very much Middle-earth, it is very much the same world but it is a more serious tale.”

He added: “It’s a beautiful tale in itself but it may not strike a chord because people feel there aren’t enough hobbits in it - because there aren’t any.”

The Lord of the Rings has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide and was made into three hugely successful films.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 April 2007 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

They have a nice leather-bound deluxe/collector’s/whatever edition of this book.

So on my way into work today I stopped at Border’s to pick it up.  They didn’t get any of those, just the regular hardback.  So I went to another big bookstore.  They didn’t get any either.

When I got to work I looked it up on Amazon.  Amazon says the deluxe/collector’s/whatever edition “usually ships in 4 to 6 weeks”.

mad

I don’t know if that means they’re not available until then (because they haven’t been released) or they’re just in such demand that they didn’t print enough of them.

Regardless, I’ll be stopping at the second bookstore (they’re open past 9:00) and picking up the “regular” hardback edition on my way home tonight.

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2007 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

Hmmmm I’ll have to make a trip down to Chapters this weekend and check this.  I have every other Tolkien book in my collection so I just gotta get this one.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 19 April 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

Tolkien is overrated.  There, I said it.  I don’t care how many of you hate me.  Even more than you already did.  raspberry

The big four were really good, though the trilogy was far too long.  I just never thought of them as earth-shattering in their quality.  Everything I tried after that was far too boring, though that’s probably because I’m not into bad poetry.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

1 of 2