1 of 5
The 300
Posted: 22 March 2007 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

I know VERY well that this was discussed in one of the other topics but I cannot find the references to it anymore.  Anyway, there were some folks who had not heard about this movie at all.  It’s been out a couple weeks here in the U.S. and tonight I finally got to see it.  It’s based on the historical battle of Thermopylae in Greece and the 300 Spartans who stood against thousands of Persians.

There is a graphic novel that was written first and the movie’s artistry was not only based on the novel’s artwork, but was breathtaking, brilliant and exhilarating and tightly woven.  I was mesmerised by this most astonishing screenplay and filming as well as the acting. 

This is also one of the first times that male glory was given the same credence that female beauty has been given for many more years…......

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 March 2007 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

I saw it opening night.  A friend picked up the tickets the night before.

The local theater was showing it at two times and two screens for each showing.  It was sold out for every show that opening weekend.  We got there at 7:00 for our 7:30 show.  The ticket line was half a block long.  And that is overall length with every ticket window (there are 5-6) open.

I have never seen that theater that busy.  Ever.  It’s been open two years now and has 14 screens.  And most of the “major” movies I go to see on opening weekend.  Wow.

As for the movie, I agree with everything Huli said.  Great movie.  Go see it.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 March 2007 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ll probably end up seeing it, but I might wait until it comes out in DVD at the library.  At the speed that movies are making it from the cinema to the store shelves, it should be in the library by the end of May.

I’ll also probably end up getting really annoyed by how historically inaccurate it seems to be (the Spartans being a bunch of short-haired guys running around practically nekkid?!?  And is there even any mention of the other 700 Greeks who were there beside the Spartans at the final stages of the battle?).  Yes, I know it’s just a movie and that it’s more about the spectacle than the accuracy. . .but in that case, why not make it about some fictional battle where you can be as inaccurate as you want?  Oh well.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 March 2007 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Acci-

Yes, the Greeks are in the movie.  Don’t play a large role, but they do show up to help.

And while this is based on the historical battle, the movie is really an adaptation of the graphic novel, not a retelling of the battle.  So it’s a retelling of a retelling of the battle.  They went after the jazziness of the graphic novel and told that basic story rather than an historically accurate one by deviating form the graphic novel.

Also, if you saw Sin City and liked it you will probably like this.  It’s done by the same director (I think) and he does as good a job with this as he did with that.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 March 2007 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23
Accipiter - 23 March 2007 04:29 AM

I’ll probably end up seeing it, but I might wait until it comes out in DVD at the library.  At the speed that movies are making it from the cinema to the store shelves, it should be in the library by the end of May.

I’ll also probably end up getting really annoyed by how historically inaccurate it seems to be (the Spartans being a bunch of short-haired guys running around practically nekkid?!?  And is there even any mention of the other 700 Greeks who were there beside the Spartans at the final stages of the battle?).  Yes, I know it’s just a movie and that it’s more about the spectacle than the accuracy. . .but in that case, why not make it about some fictional battle where you can be as inaccurate as you want?  Oh well.

I believe they were thespians, Acci

(and I don’t mean actors)

I also think the movie will make me angry at the historical inaccuracies, just seeing the trailers pissed me off
I have no desire to watch it.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 23 March 2007 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

I probably are going to see it tonight with my friends, after dinner at my place.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 23 March 2007 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Sharruma - 23 March 2007 05:43 AM

I believe they were thespians, Acci

Yes, along with some smaller number of their fellow Boeotians the Thebans (for some reason I’m thinking there were 400 of the latter, although that’s probably wrong).  The Thespians fought to the end alongside the Spartans, but the Thebans were long antagonistic towards the Thespians and—depending on who you ask—either deserted the Greeks and made peace with the Persians, or else turned on the other Greeks then and there and attacked them.

And of course, the “Persians” also consisted of far more than just Persians.  The invading army was mostly made up of people from the Persians’ subject lands:  Assyrians, Bactrians, Indians, Arabians, Ethiopians. . .the Persian Empire was a big place.  The first bunch to face off against the Greeks were Medes.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 March 2007 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Here a lot of 300 spoofs.

Just click on the links, no translation necessary.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 March 2007 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Tah is correct in that while the movie is based on history, the main focus is the artistry of both visual and emotion, the thrust of courage developed by a society whose rules and ideals were based on warrior perfection of body, spirit and honor from birth until death.  The Spartans of history were perhaps not so long-lived, but from the time I first read about them I was intrigued. 

The adaptation of this film on the graphic novel is clearly an artisan’s weave and intended to grab, hold and enhance the imagination of the mind and heart.  Facts become moot because it’s important to understand that history continually loops upon itself and it’s relatively easy to see that what happened then, is also played in our own current events…......undoubtedly will also continue in the future because we do not learn. 

The rest of the allies are a small part and at the conclusion an overwhelming, teaming field.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 23 March 2007 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08
Accipiter - 23 March 2007 04:29 AM

And is there even any mention of the other 700 Greeks who were there beside the Spartans at the final stages of the battle?).

1000 didn’t have quite the same ring to it. wink

And yes, you will probably get very agitated by the inaccuracies.  Give it time, though.  At least wait until you see Xerxes before going ballistic.

“Spartans never retreat!”

Conveniently ignoring the fact that the whole purpose of the stand was to allow the Greek army to safely retreat before being cut off by the Persians.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 23 March 2007 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 23 March 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

It was an excellent movie, if you can watch a movie purely for the enjoyment of it.  If you are anal about historical accuracy, you probably shouldn’t watch anything hollywood puts out.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

1 of 5