2 of 3
Poll
Would you or have you tried to eat clay???
Yep 4
Nope 2
Thats just SICK!!!! 1
Total Votes: 7
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Eating Dirt: It Might Be Good for You….
Posted: 03 October 2005 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
X - 03 October 2005 08:28 PM

is it grainy when you eat it????

If its proper clay (meaning grain size below 2 micrometer) it is not grainy at all. This is actually why we test sediments (e.g. from a prospection drill core) in our mouth to make a field assessment whether a sediment is clay, silt or sand. It is common practise among geologists and archaeologists.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 03 October 2005 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I recall hearing many times that pregnant women in some of the poorer regions of the world will go out and start eating clay or dirt, in order to get enough minerals in the body.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 October 2005 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16
Accipiter - 03 October 2005 10:22 PM

I recall hearing many times that pregnant women in some of the poorer regions of the world will go out and start eating clay or dirt, in order to get enough minerals in the body.

Actually it happens all over the world, even with well nourished women. It’s the thing mentioned above called Pica. A friend of mine got it while she was pregnant, and was eating dirt, laundry detergent, even cigarette butts from the ground (non smoker!) until she forced herself not to. The dirt and laundry detergent thing continued through much of her pregnancy.

Posted: 03 October 2005 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

What??????    what possesses them to do that???

Posted: 04 October 2005 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

Stephen, it is an eating disorder called “Pica”.  (for the third time!!! jeeze, pay attention! ) LOL

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic1798.htm

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 04 October 2005 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

Hmmm makes sense that the body would force you to crave minerals in this manner if your diet wasnt providing I suppose. Only time I have ever seen someone literally eat dirt was during an Iron Stomach competition in college. Granted they also ate sticks of lard, cow testes, maggots and sour milk. Shudder

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

Posted: 04 October 2005 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05
Deediddums - 04 October 2005 02:24 PM

Hmmm makes sense that the body would force you to crave minerals in this manner if your diet wasnt providing I suppose. Only time I have ever seen someone literally eat dirt was during an Iron Stomach competition in college. Granted they also ate sticks of lard, cow testes, maggots and sour milk. Shudder

eeewww, thats nasty….sticks of lard??? maggots??? sour milk??? and worst of all, Rocky Mountain Oysters….*retches*

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 04 October 2005 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Well, you do eat fish tacos….you sic bastard…

Posted: 05 October 2005 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

When Jocelynn was much younger, she would pick up handfuls of dirt, put it into her mouth, and swallow.  We finally got her to stop doing it…I wasn’t worried about the dirt so much, as what was in it - animal feces, pesticides, rain gutter run-off.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 05 October 2005 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
Maegan - 05 October 2005 12:52 PM

When Jocelynn was much younger, she would pick up handfuls of dirt, put it into her mouth, and swallow.  We finally got her to stop doing it…I wasn’t worried about the dirt so much, as what was in it - animal feces, pesticides, rain gutter run-off.

She will develop a good resistance because of it. Children nowadays are raised much too clean, and as a result cannot stand anything when grown up.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 October 2005 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

We intentionally were a little lacksadasical with Sage about that (not to the point where we’d let him eat something harmful or gross, but…) because I’m a believer in the resistance thing. A woman I know through a parenting group had a home sterilizer and would sterilize her kids toys each night, etc. Suprise, all three of her kids have athsma and are ill a lot.

2 of 3