Joined  2005-10-02

Real or Not?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,00.html

Posted: 03 October 2005 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

From what I can tell, the dog in the picture in that article really was used as live bait.  So that much at least is true.  Here’s a follow-up to that case.

I found a lot more talk about how people are commonly using dogs and cats as live bait on Reunion (despite it being illegal), but the only actual incident I saw reported was the one above.  All of the reports seem to come from one of two sources, the article in The Sun, and another article apparently from Yahoo that claims to be getting its information from the Reunion newspaper Clicanoo.  The Yahoo article doesn’t seem to be available any more, but I found a number of other sites copying it.

The closest I could find to anything official on it being common practice there was the following quotation, which appeared on a number of web sites:  “We don’t see that every day, but it’s not the first time, either,” Marie-Annick Chantrel, the vice-president of the Reunion branch of the SPA, told Clicanoo. “We’ve already seen cats six or seven months old with hooks in them.”

More on the practice of using dogs for bait can be found at this site, along with pictures of several other dogs apparently used for the same purpose.  And here is some more from that same web site.

I couldn’t get the RSPCA site to work (it said that the page was down for maintenance), so I can’t tell whether or not there really is a petition.  I’ve seen a lot of sites where people claim to have signed it, though.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 October 2005 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2005-08-04

That’s just terrible. Although honestly I have nothing against using cats and dogs as baits, (just like i don’t oppose eating any type of animal, as long as they are well taken care of while alive, and killed painlessly), i think it’s terrible to hook through them and put them in water while they are ALIVE. I mean come on!! That’s just cruelity at it’s peak. The least they could do was put them to sleep first. >=(

Posted: 03 October 2005 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

On Vanukapahuihui, there was a tradition to use their mother-in-law for this purpose…. cheese

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 03 October 2005 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
LaMa - 03 October 2005 09:03 AM

On Vanukapahuihui, there was a tradition to use their mother-in-law for this purpose…. cheese

How cruel!  Those poor sharks. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 October 2005 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I dunno, a thrashing dog or cat wouldn’t attract a shark.  It’s been proven that the shark would rather go for something not moving, than something moving.  If you throw a live animal in, it’s just going to swim about…even in pain.  I’m saying hoax.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 03 October 2005 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

This is fake….....it comes from the Sun…....you might as well be reading weekly world news….the picture seems very fake anyway…...

Posted: 03 October 2005 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-10-03

Explain this away as video is harder to fake than the printed word
Link

Posted: 04 October 2005 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2005-05-07

OK, I’m officially creeped out now.

Posted: 04 October 2005 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
kinjit - 04 October 2005 02:43 AM

Explain this away as video is harder to fake than the printed word Previously a super long link that was skewing the page!

Boy, this URL get the award for being the longest ever….

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 04 October 2005 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09
kinjit - 04 October 2005 02:43 AM

Explain this away as video is harder to fake than the printed word

Previously a very long link.

That still doesn’t convince me…...still looks fake…...There is no swelling or anything….

Posted: 04 October 2005 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-10-04

I saw this today elsewhere and did manage to get onto the RSPCA site where there is a petition which you can sign.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=sharkbait

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}