1 of 1
{/paginate}
free will
Posted: 30 September 2005 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-07-03

prove or disprove this

“(a) if an all-knowing God exists, then he knows preciesely what the future is (he knows im going to cough in ten seconds)

(b) if God knows what the future is then the future will accur, unless God is mistaken (i will cough in ten seconds)

(c) because god cannot be mistaken there is no possibility that any other future other than the future which god knows will happen
(there is no possibility i wont couch in ten seconds

(d) if god exists there is only one future, the future he knows. (i cough in ten seconds)” blink, by ted dekker

Posted: 30 September 2005 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

I moved this to the Off-Topic forum since it’s not properly a hoax.  However, I’m not really sure what the purpose is other than stirring up an argument, or at the very least, a spelling lesson.  I expect this to devolve into a ‘prove he exists’ vs. ‘prove he doesn’t exist’ argument inside of ten comments.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 30 September 2005 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

*sigh*
We’ve been so free of the religious debates on here up until now.

How about:
e) You can be happy in your knowledge that god does or does not exist, without having to enter into a pointless and self-perpetuating debate.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 30 September 2005 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-09-04

I choose E (and the option that God doesn’t exist) and lock….

Oh, wait, I can’t choose lock….please, someone do it.

By the way, use capitalization.

Posted: 01 October 2005 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

my input:

God may know what will happen (if he exists), but we don’t. He knows if you’ll fail or succeed, but we don’t. That’s why you can’t base all your life’s decisions around him. No-one knows what he/she is thinking or if he’she is real. did that make sense?

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 01 October 2005 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

The original poster’s list boils down to just one assumption: that an All-knowing God exists. Points a to d are just deductions from that original assumption, and not arguments that prove the assumption. Hence, I do not see the point of this post.

Like the rest however, I do see that this might be the start of yet another flaming thread on Faith. This is a hoax forum however, not an Evangelization platform.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 01 October 2005 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

hmmm, as it has been pointed out, the actual issue here is proving or disproving the existance of an all knowing, creator or deity (usually referred to as God but some religions use other names (Buddha for one).

This issue is thousands of years old and some of the finest minds ever put on earth have addressed it.

With the information currently available, it is impossible to prove or disprove and like Boo stated “You can be happy in your knowledge that god does or does not exist, without having to enter into a pointless and self-perpetuating debate.” (i would add unwinnable)

I hope I am not perpetuating the debate (what debate?)  wink

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 01 October 2005 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2005-08-03

chuck- buddha is not seen as a god.

sort of a mix between j.c. and confu.

not debateing

Signature 

MOO

Posted: 01 October 2005 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

obviously I have not yet attained complete enlightenment wink

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 01 October 2005 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Chuck - 01 October 2005 07:33 PM

obviously I have not yet attained complete enlightenment wink

That’s because you do not pay your electricity bills….

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 October 2005 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

LOL LaMa! smile

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}